Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it was done and still is in old alloy colts and SW. My agent Colt factory book says check cyl. gap and action every 2000rds of +P. 38 standard PSI 17,000 and +P 20,000PSI. I have allways practiced standard 38swc 158gr. and carry the 158 gr. lswc-hp 158gr. I fire a few cly. full to check point of aim. I recall a article years ago by Skeeter that fired 2000rds of +P out of a M-37 with no effect on the cly.gap and timing. What is your feeling on the subject?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir. I have seen older Model 37's made on the "non-magnum" J-frame and not +P-rated handle the +P LSWCHP loads fine. The practice was much as you describe: Practice with std. pressure and carry the warmer loads for serious purposes, after shooting a few to see how POA matches POI and check for possible extraction problems. I have seen one that stretched to the point that the revolver became unreliable, but its owner fired many, many +P factory loads and hot handloads.

Before the Centennials came out, my normal BUG was a Model 37 that I'd removed the hammer spur on at home. The several that I owned were frequently shot with +P and served well.

Best.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for a pre-lock 642,but there hard to find. Ended up with this M-37 made in 2003 unfired with the the factory rubber grips for Less than $400. With X-mas and the shows being down till Jan. I will have to search hard to find a pre-lock 642. I like the Centennials for year around pocket carry,but the M37 will serve till then and for a spare later . In these days of auto everything you cannot find better for a bottom line of serious power CCW weapon in its size class. THe 158lswc-hp is in the low %70 one shot stop class and with the double tap good nite nurse!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I carried several M-37s over the years and I put a lot of 158gr lswc/hps down range with them. For what they are and what they were designed to do I don't think you can beat them. There are a lot of 36s and 37s still around. Guys that got them don't let go of them much now a days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts