Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Model 19 gave me a couple of light primer strikes from soft-point WWB today. From a wheelgun, this is nothing completely fatal in a gunfight, but still, there goes 17 per-cent of your capacity.

It was either hard primers, which I doubt, considering this thing has popped some 300 of these, without incident, so far, or it's a weak mainspring.

So, I'm going to try swapping out the mainspring, preferably for one with a wee bit more "oomph." Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to think of it, I haven't.

I forgot all about that silly thing!

I'll check it next week, and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You may try a Wolff power mainspring standard power. I have used them in several revolvers and had good luck with them. On new S&W revolvers I have also replaced the firing pin on the frame mounted guns with the C&S extra length firing pin. With this installed, light strikes have not happen again in over 3000 rds. A light strike may also be caused by end shake. When the firing pin hits the primer it moves the whole cylinder forward and the primer will not ignite. This is a simple fix with a washer at the front of the cylinder and the yoke. This limits the forward movement of the cylinder and holds the round firm for the hammer strike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts