Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have never had one, but know what you mean. It was almost like a backwards Berns-Martin break-front, made so you drew it out the split back. Sorta like the Bucheimer-Clark, with the spring coming up and behind the cylinder instead of over it like the Berns-Martin..
The later Dirty Harry shoulder holster looked like it was basically a Lewis converted to shoulder use.

I guess LAPD liked trick holsters back then, what with the clamshell-type on Adam-12 that spring open when you hit the button by reaching through the trigger guard (shudder). At least two places made those that I know of- Audley and Safety Speed Holster- so there must have been a market.
For some reason.
Although, as a holster junkie, I do want one for a conversation piece.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi barry , me too, holster gunkie , cannot post pictures from this computer its on its last legs , but will post a picture of my Lewis holster most comfortable holster I have ever worn even wearing a 6 inch barreled sixgun.:p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
howdy oberstlt, I Live in the suburbs of NYC and Have been told horror story of those god all full jaypee holsters , the early Audley holster were alot better qualityl

·
Banned
721 Posts
Jaypee holsters were likely the cheeziest holsters ever built.
For a while, Jaypee was the king of the municipal low bid and you saw them everywhere.
In my Academy class, a lot of us already had Bianchi or Safariland holsters bought for the day our S&W M-10s were permanently issued. Some of the department issued Jaypee holsters didn't even survive the firearms portion of the academy before the seams ripped out or the swivels broke. Junk Junk Junk

The Lewis holsters, by comparison, were well made and I would not be surprised if there are a lot of them still in daily use.

·
Banned
721 Posts
FYI, anybody wanting a Lewis-style holster can get one from Tucker Gun Leather.
They have been updated somewhat with a sweat shield, but otherwise they are very much the same. They are very high ride and conceal well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never had one, but know what you mean. It was almost like a backwards Berns-Martin break-front, made so you drew it out the split back. Sorta like the Bucheimer-Clark, with the spring coming up and behind the cylinder instead of over it like the Berns-Martin..
The later Dirty Harry shoulder holster looked like it was basically a Lewis converted to shoulder use.

I guess LAPD liked trick holsters back then, what with the clamshell-type on Adam-12 that spring open when you hit the button by reaching through the trigger guard (shudder). At least two places made those that I know of- Audley and Safety Speed Holster- so there must have been a market.
For some reason.
Although, as a holster junkie, I do want one for a conversation piece.
I have both lewis leather 2" and 4" and 6" clamshell. I did many years LAPD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts