Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make it clear that I do not own a XD. Why? I hold a grudge towards Springfield Armory. How, so? I remember when the Croat pistols sold for $249 and I was busy buying other handguns. I am now very sorry that there is this gap in my collection.

I have fired a whole bunch of XDs and they have all shot well for me. These include the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45Gap. I liked each and every one of the XDs I shot. I like the grip and I also like the trigger on these Springers.

Let me know your opinion of the Croat. Thanks and

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't own one either as I have Glocks. But, I see a lot of them in use in IDPA and they work well. Now they are under priced by the S&W M&Ps in my areas and a lot of folks have begun to switch over. Not a dedicated follower of fashion myself, I have Glocks and won't transition to them. My pal the DUSM caries a 45 ACP with regularity as a backup (long story) and really likes them. I have Glocks and am not going to go get new holsters, mags and stuff. Not worth the effort. But one does see a lot of them in use.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I am an unabashed fan of the XD series. I own two, a .45 Tactical and a Service model.

I have resighted both, however. The Tactical now wears Meprolight night sights, while the Service has the Tru Glo Tritium Fiber Optics (TFO).

I did have some problems finding suitable carrying gear, as the "holster" supplied with the gun is adequate only for a place to rest the weapon between firings, and I do not see it as a practical option for long term use. The Blackhawk SERPA carbon fiber holster works exceedingly well, and for a price which is a huge bargain by anyone's standards.

Either gun is capable of really good groups at combat ranges. I've found that the most accurate combat load with the tactical gun is the Winchester SXT 230, though ball ammo ain't bad.

And those TFO sights are really, really easy to pick up quickly, and in any light.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't mean to step on the toes of any XD fans, but all weapons just don't suit all people. I owned a standard XD in .40 and after initially being mermerized by it soon learned to loathe it. First, the plastic holster that came with the package simply broke and was useless from then on; I just threw it away. Then, following a range day when I did not have a chance to clean the gun right away the finish on the slide began to rust. As a long term Glock appreciator I began to compare the trigger with Glock's trigger, and the more I shot them side by side, the more I began to appreciate the Glock all over again. The XD's was lighter all right and mushier, but the Glock trigger seemed safer to me by not firing from a fully cocked position but having to complete the cocking cycle before the let-off that was relatively crisp compared to the XD. I began to see that grip safety as just a sales gimmick. Every ND or AD I've personally ever seen has been from a full firing grip. So, what's the use of the grip safety? Although I've compared it to the Glock, I'm not a die hard Glock fan either. Give me a 1911 or a BHP or (most recently) a CZ any day to any plastic gun.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
And additionally, I have heard that they are difficult to work on as they have lots and lots of little springs and parts. But I don't know that for sure as I have never detail stripped one.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I rather like the Glock platform, and you can't beat them for reliability.

The problem, though, is that in .45 the grip is uncomfortably large for my hands. I also don't like the magazines very much, as they cause some of the excessive size of the grips, and I can't understand why steel wouldn't have served better than the combination of steel and plastic.

Glocks don't point well for me, either. I have to make a conscious effort after the draw to get the gun down; it's nothing inherently wrong with the guns, I'm sure, but in my hands, this is what happens.

It's a Chevy versus Ford thing. The early XDs had finish problems, but the current crop has a tough finish that holds up well to abuse.

The "XD Gear" holster is a piece of junk, good only for use until you can find something better. The magazine carrier and mag loader, however, are very useful, practical devices.

I'm not a huge fan of the grip safety, but there is a reason for it to be there. It's not a matter of practicality, but politics, and the grip safety prevents the XD from having a required internal manual lock.

The trigger isn't all that good, but it's something I got used to very easily.

Nope, one size does not fit all, and I'm (currently) more comfortable with a BHP or 1911 and have been for a lot of years. But I'm also all for looking at various options, and a full magazine of .45 ammo is a good thing, whether it's eight rounds or thirteen. But thirteen is better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well like was said previously not every gun is for every person.

I have the service model in 9mm. It was my first handgun bought in march of 2003 . I dont have any rust issues and I will admit that I tend to be rather lazy about cleaning said pistol after I shoot. I go shooting about once every 2-4 months, typically in a defensive pistol match and normally simply place into its canvas holster then in its its duty location in my home. I use it as a house gun for the wife because of its ease of use compared to a 1911 which is my CCW gun for that reason untill I can afford to get something else that is easy to use.

That being said I had my first shooting experience using a ported Glock 17. I went looking for an handgun about 2 months later and was going to pick up a little bersa thunder 9 but the clerk said that if I was able to pull together another hundred dollars he recommended the XD since I had told him that I learned to shoot with a Glock. He basically told me it was just as good for less money. While I didnt purchase the gun at that store, later on that day I came into some extra money and the rest is history.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I owned a sub compact 9mm. It was a great gun. The weight was okay, I shot it well, but I sold it. Why? Well...I don't know, perhaps because I found a Sig 228 refurb. Which I like, but I must be honest, the ergonomics of the little XD 9 Sub Compact were nearly perfect.
I think you will be happy if you get one.
Ever the sub compact was pleasant to shoot, I imagine the full size or compact would be great.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Unfortunately, the factory does not recommend the use of any +P or +P+ 9mm in the subcompact versions due to the light wieght of the slide. No such restrictions on the full size versions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts