Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what people think of the new Glock Model 21 SF. I don't think it's out yet, but has anyone seen a comparison to the standard Glock 20/21 grip? The photos I've seen so far, haven't given much away.

For those who haven't heard: Glock has performed a slight re-design of the Model 21. "SF" stands for "Faster and Sleeker", or "Small Frame", depending who's talking.

I find this interesting for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if this catches on (and the Model 21 has a following, with the large grip being the usually noted drawback), what will that do to the .45 GAP? It would be a no-brainer choice for me, given the versatility and availability of .45 ACP ammunition. Secondly, if this works, would Glock apply it to the 10mm Model 20? I don't know if there's any difference in the frames between the two.

I have always been a bit fascinated by the 10mm cartridge, and the only time I ever fired a Glock was a rental Model 20 about 12 years ago. Kicked a bit, but it wasn't bad for the power involved, and yes, the grip did feel like a two-by-four. Although the 10mm will never be a big seller (compared to the .40/.45/9mm crowd), I think that a Model 20 with a better grip would make a great all-rounder, especially in the boonies.

Still love my blue-steel and walnut 76 BHP, though!

Discussion? Comments? Rants against plastic?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Haven't even picked up a 21SF, so can't say much there.
I have had a Glock 20, 21, and 29, though, and have an opinion or two.

The 20/21 needed something done to slim it, at least for me. It was a struggle for me to shoot either my 20 or 21 well. The 20 did better, but I could always shoot my "compact" 29 better than the 20. I attribute most of that to the grip of the 29, which fit me a lot better than the 20/21's grip.

Regardless of what they do to the grip, they're all still pretty wide across the slide for me to want to carry them. I just don't like wide guns, and would rather carry a heavier gun that was thinner. And do.

I'm planning on going to the NRA Convention/show in a week or two. If I think of it, I'll ask someone at Glock's booth if they have any plans of making a 20SL. (Like they tell inside scoop to the likes of me- but I might as well ask.)

·
Registered
649 Posts
When I saw the article about the Glock 21 SF in the Glock 2007 annual,the first thought to my mind was "That would be nice in the Glock 20 10mm"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe, when the guns start hitting the shelves, I'll re-visit this question. The big Glock may not be much for looks, but I've always been fascinated by the "one gun for everything" problem and it's possible solution(s). For some, it's a 4-inch .357 (686Plus for example). For others, a four-inch Model 29 is a better solution. For Skeeter Skelton, it was a five-inch Model 27 in one article he wrote. On the auto side, some claim the 1911 will fit the bill, with +P ammo at the top end (I think Massad Ayoob once wrote something about this). And, I think it was Chuck Karwan who made the case for the Glock 10mm. Fun game to play!

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's not like the SF model is that much slimmer. In fact it's kinda hard to tell which is which when you heft both it and a regular third generation model 21.

That's not a knock by the way; I very much like my second gen model 20, not having those finger grooves built in makes a positive difference for my hands.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion? Comments? Rants against plastic?
Sorry, I hate plastic. I have a 45 1911 and a 10mm 1911. I don't feel any diffence in the grips of either gun. A a matter of fact, in an emergency, my 10mm will cycle using regular 45 magazines. So there is no difference in the grip size between the two. I have never held a Glock I have felt comfortable with, so I may just have to check this new model out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bumping this up as there's a review in Combat Handguns of the Model 21SF. The review was highly favorable (but then, most major magazines seem to be). There's some other differences as well, involving the ambi mag release, the accessory rail, and the length of the slide (slightly shorter, barrel length the same). No mention of 10mm, but surely SOMEONE has asked them about this.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have handled the 21SF. While it does point slightly better for me the only difference is at the bottom of the grip. It is still too fat up top for me - those gifted with long fingers might like it.

Jim H.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just heard from someone saying their shop got some new G20 magazines in from Glock...
...And they had mag catch notches on both sides...
...like the 21SF does for it's two-sided mag catch.

I don't know if that means anything, however. For all I know, Glock uses the same mag body for the 20 and 21 and standardized them all.
Or I could see they might use the same plastic "casing" with a different metal liner for each caliber.

But there it is anyway.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Any time.
I'm watching this myself. I have almost sworn off Glocks, but sure find myself curious about this.
I also saw a post on another forum a while ago, where someone else saw some come in like that. So it wasn't a case of only one shop getting them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If nothing else you could talk to the aftermarket barrel manufacturers. Swap'em out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts