Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Most of the local LEO's here carry the 40, but my Federal Agency issues the 9mm with the 9BPLE.

City, County and State all issue the 40 S&W from what I can tell. Wheelguns are verbotten by the City, don't even think they are approved of off duty carry. :(

I'm lucky, I can carry what I want off duty and usually select a revolver in either 45 ACP or 357 Magnum.

Biker

G

·
New FBI service ammo contracts:

180/40 enhanced Ranger Bonded (Q4355)
147/9 enhanced Ranger Bonded (Q4364)

The current Winchester loads (RA40B/RA9B) are not identical to these, but will be after the next production runs in Feb 08.

Winchester's rankings for LE sales are:

40S&W
9x19
45 ACP
357SIG
38 Special

357Mag/10mm are barely blips on the screen and fading, 45 GAP rising.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our Police in S.A are issued with 9mm para as std platform and are only allowed to carry state issued PMP 115gr FMJ's.

Sucks but true...

From what I hear our Special Task Force members sometimes carry .40S&W H&K USP Compacts loaded with 110gr NGA Sentry's/Eliminators.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My local gun store has numerous used Sig 220's in .45 ACP for sale. Many appear to be NIB with three magazines. When I inquired about the source, the manager informed me that the Louisiana State Police are converting to the Glock in .40 S & W. --c

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glock owns municipal and county LE in Arkansas, and that dominance is represented by the .40 caliber Glock 22. G23s are popular, too, but not like the G22 due to their terrible recoil. At the police academy where I teach, we just spent a week on the range for firearms training. Of the 47 basic police recruits enrolled, 44 shot Glock 22's in .40!!
Ironically, this representative number is typical of Glock's dominance in our basic classes. As for the remainder of the current crop of recruits, the remaining officers a 9mm M&P, 9mm XDM, and .40 P226. It's the first class in recent memory where no one carried a .45 of some sort. Not surprisingly, the Glocks ran without a hitch, as is the norm in our academy classes.

The favored .40 caliber duty/self-defense load in Arkansas is the 165-grain Remington Golden Saber. Nothing else even comes close. The main reason is ease of availability. The Golden Sabers are manufactured in nearby Lonoke, Arkansas, at the Remington plant and it's reasonably priced. It can be found on gun dealers shelves throughout Arkansas. There is a trend now toward the 165-grain .40 Golden Saber Bonded, which has been very impressive in some recent shootings throughout Arkansas.

On a more somber note, a friend of mine works for the Jonesboro, Arkansas Police Department's Criminal Division. He worked a negligent discharge recently where a civilian shot himself in the shin with a .40 Bonded Golden Saber. It struck his shin bone and destroyed it, along with many of the nerves in that extremity. My detective buddy said that bone fragments were scattered along the lower-wall and that the civilian eventually lost his leg from the knee down. Terrible and needless tragedy, but it does provide some insight into the power of the .40 Bonded Golden Saber.

The Arkansas State Police issues Glock 21's in .45 to its troopers. They are thrilled with their pistols. My brother is a Captain in the ASP and they rave about the dependability they've enjoyed with their G21's, especially considering the string of bad luck they had with their older Sig Sauer P229's in .40, but that's another story! ::) The ASP duty load is, not surprisingly, the Remington 230-grain .45 Golden Saber for the same reasons as the .40. It is not yet of the bonded variety. They've had good success with it in several shootings over the past 5 years or so. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My department issues Glock 9mms, we also issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot.

The county Sheriff guys here carry Glock 22s, the Highway Patrol issues Glock 21s, so obviously .40s and .45s are being used.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe that the local LEOs here in Fredericksburg, TX carry .40 S&W, loaded with Speer Gold Dot (don't know what bullet weight).

Crash

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe that the local LEOs here in Fredericksburg, TX carry .40 S&W, loaded with Speer Gold Dot (don't know what bullet weight).

Crash

·
Registered
674 Posts
.40 S&W for nearly all the agencies in my jurisdiction. When I was a LEO, Federal 357 Mag 125g JHPs and Speer 9mms were considered state of the art!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Down here in South Louisiana my Parish issues GLOCK 22's, 23's, and a few 27's. Issued ammo is 40 S&W 165 HST's. Of the few officer involved shootings we've had I must say that I am impressed with this combination. We haven't lost a gunfight since we switched to .40 GLOCKS in 1994.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LEO ammunition / cartridge poll

In Pennsylvania, wildlife conservation officers with the PA Game Commission carry the Glock 31 in 357 Sig caliber. The issued duty round is the Speer 125 gr Gold Dot HP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Ohio,.....they use about what ever they want,.....at one time most used Batetta 92's,... but now its anything and everything it appears to be the cops choice,.....and ammo is free as much as the want to shoot at most places.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts