Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi dave,

That is a pretty amazing photo and shot!

Who said the .40 S&W was inaccurate?

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
fwiw: I recently was in Houston, which is unfortunately experiencing a 10 percent jump in the murder rate. I guess cops there have to supply their own sidearm. I saw two police carrying wheelguns...

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,
Our dept. is using G22's and the .40 S&W. Fine.
Off duty yours truely carries a 1911 in .45 ACP.
A few other departments use the SIG 220/.45 ACP.
The transition to the .40 seems to be most predominent.
Wes

G

·
My agency...Pistol/Carbine/Shotgun

Duty...Federal .40/180gr "Tactical"
Practice...Blazer .40/180gr FMJ

Duty...Federal 5.56/55gr "Tactical"
Practice...AmericanEagle 5.56/55gr FMJ

Duty...Federal 12ga/00Buck and Slug "Tactical"
Practice...same

We're very happy with our ammo

·
Registered
720 Posts
Had a nice visit with one of police officers today. They carry Beretta 9mm's and the ammo is Federal 9BPLE. He also carries a .380 backup along with pepper spray.

So I added one vote to the 9mm tally.

But don't believe I'll be using any 9BPLE, it's available from Ammoman to anyone. The +p+ round would be just too much for my little Kahr PM9. For a real neat "wetpack" ballistic test on the 9BPLE, check this link...

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2939

Cheers,
og

G

·
Here the County Issues the Sig 229 and 9MM Speer Gold Dot ammo. The small local PD uses the Glock 23 in .40 S&W. Most other counties in FL seem to like the 9MM yet.

G

·
City 9mm/Glock
County 40S&W/Glock
State 357SIG/Glock

Interestingly enough, while the city has 5 times as many officers as the county and the city has many more shootings than the county, the city has never had a multiple hit failure to stop w the 9mm in the last 15 years, while the county has had several w the .40. The city has used various 115 and 147 JHPs, the county various 165 and 180 JHPs.

Things that make ya go hmmmm? ;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
In the southern Arizona area, most locals and feds are carrying various pistols chambered for the 40 S&W. I own several 40s, but honestly I bought them so I could convert them over the 357 Sig. I think that is the round most law enforcement agencies should be issuing honestly.

A few federal agencies have seen the light (Secret Service, Air Mashals) and the last I heard Texas DPS was using the round as well. I have yet to hear of an actual shooting situation where they we less than very impressed with the performance obtained.

I also find it to be an exceptionally accurate round to reload, as I have yet to find a poor powder bullet combination.

twoguns

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
City - 357 SIG/SIGPro
Surrounding Counties - 40 S&W/Glock & Probably Glock (S&W M&P also in contention) to replace SIG
State - 357 SIG/SIG DAKs

G

·
90% of the police around here carry the Glock22, but on occasion you will see an older officer toting a wheelgun.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here in T-town they are packing .40cal. I believe the county has both 9mm and .40 cal. I don't know what the state police have.

G

·
.40 S&W is the overwhelming choice of duty cartridge in my neck of the woods. City & County both, but I don't know what the State Hwy Patrol carries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the county I live:
State: .40
County: .40
City: 357 SIG
Most of the smaller towns are whatever the officer elects to carry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Tulsa police carry .40 caliber Glocks.

I have decided to carry 9mm.

-- Richard

21 - 40 of 55 Posts