Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After browsing through my gun locker last night, I realized that I had aquired twice as many holsters as I had firearms and realized the enormous amount of holster purchases I had made over the years in various styles and designs from the simplistic glock polymer sport holster to Galco's finest waistband holster.

I wanted to take the opportunity to poll the members as to what people's opinions were for the best holster and material for day to day concealed or open holster carry/comfort for medium to large frame autos and revolvers?

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
carolinaman,

As of right now I like leather. More specifically, an old Desantis is my favorite.

Notice the word "old." It's beginning to slow my draw a bit. It's been on my side for seven years now and is getting a bit floppy.

Because of this, I've been looking at Fobus Kydex holsters. I've not been able to bring myself to buy one yet however.

An early experience turned me off to nylon, and I don't like nylon's looks- it kinda' looks like it wants to be leather IMO and also looks like it wants to be stitching.

I'm sending a PM to you.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I only buy Leather, and I personally think Nylon looks a bit... well, a Officer should be wearing good leather... but, I think it's fine for "certain" L.E. Teams & Military use. And as for as Kydex goes... I'll pass.

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

G

·
Hey Guys!! (Gals?) Leather is the best choice all around wear but unforunately I'm a southpaw and i carry Rugers and it seems the holster makers aren't too fond of them. It is best to find, use,wear a holster that is made for the specific gun but I'm made to buy the "one-size-fits-most" styles I personally don't like Uncle Mike's and I do own some but are lining the bottom of my shooters box. I have a DeSantis mdl87 ITW that I loved but has seen better days. My vote is leather and in response to law enforcemenyt and leather I think leather is a standard that shouldn't be compromised at any cost... Shutterbug

G

·
I've got leather for my 1911 and kydex for my xd. My kydex does have two pieces of leather though
. I'm still deciding which I like better overall. But I will say that my next order will be for leather as I'm getting alternate hoslters to facilitate multiple gun carry.

Steelheart

G

·
Hello,

Sounds like we've been through similar holster purchases, and I have a whole box of tried and found wanting. I pass on the nylon, and have had a Kydex holster break, and know of another that broke. Leather would be my first choice. A few years ago I got an Alessi holster for a Colt Defender. Very impressive leatherwork. I've got 3 now and am still impressed every time I handle them.

MB

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would say leather to the exclusion of all else, but, I have discovered with my regular carry weapon that it loves leather raw without condiments and with a regular regimen of practice/training is shredding the leather and cutting the threads.

So, I have been looking at heavier leather IWB and Kydex as a solution and given the extra bulk of the leather holsters that fit the bill, I am going to try a holster from www.hoffners.com ( www.hoffners.com/inn04.jpg ) that is constructed out of kydex like material as it has the best looks/lines of any kydex holster I have looked at, so far.

As far a nylon/canvas hybrids , they have thier uses, usually attached to an equal amount of LBE/Vest or for use in area's of high humidity or in maritime applications (they stand up to immersion in salt water a lot betterthan leather) but I have seem them adopted as general issue by some police forces, because they are of the same quality/strength as leather duty gear, but cheaper and easier to maintain.

The search for the grail (holster) continues.....

Regards, Mueller

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have mostly leather holsters as I am a traditionalist. I just ordered the Uncle Mikes LE paddle holster for my Glock in kydex.
I have heard that kydex is harder on the finish of a pistol than leather (for obvious reasons), but since the majority of my holsters are belt holsters, this is my first paddle holster.

Any experiences?

Chris

G

·
I have mostly leather holsters as I am a traditionalist. I just ordered the Uncle Mikes LE paddle holster for my Glock in kydex.
I have heard that kydex is harder on the finish of a pistol than leather (for obvious reasons), but since the majority of my holsters are belt holsters, this is my first paddle holster.

Any experiences?

Chris
I have their paddle holster for a S&W 4006. It works pretty good as long as you hae a good belt. It works better with jeans than it does with other style pants like BDUs.

G

·
I mostly go with leather. It squeeks a bit but it will tend to form to your body a little making it more comfortable after break-in. I've been using a FIST #12 basic for carry and IDPA for about 5 years now and don't see any need to change. Run it on a 1-1/4" Dillon belt and I'm good to go.

G

·
You've got to call me a traditionalist also. I looked in my holster box just a couple weeks ago and every last one is leather... and I've got a new Wild Bill's Concealment leather (doeskin lined, too!) on order for a Colt Commander. I can't do the plastic thing. I even had a hard time (sort of) buying a polymer framed pistol, but now that I've had it for a while, I love it because it serves its purpose perfectly - an H&K USP Compact 9mm. Perhaps if I tried a plastic holster I'd find the same thing, but I just can't....

G

·
I'm still searching for the right holster for me. I'm a firm believer in the IWB style for CCW as it seems to hide the gun better than a belt type holster. I have a Uncle Mike's nylon IWB for my XD, and I also have a Fobus paddle for the XD. The Fobus doesnt work for me unless I'm wearing winter garb. Leather is classic , but in the IWB style its bulky, at least for my frame it is. The Uncle Mikes's nylon IWB isn't that great and I'm still searching, but I can't seem to find an all around holster that works. I may need a smaller gun than the 4" XD9.

Jeremy

G

·
xdshooter, I'm using a milt sparks watch-six for my 1911. My sc xd rides in a comp-tac c-t.a.c. adjustable kydex iwb. I think the 1911 is more comfortable but the extra weight makes it an overall toss-up. With a good iwb holster the bulk factor is negligable. I've got a UM cheap iwb, there's no comparison.

Steelheart

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello All,

I just got back from my annual Thanksgiving Pilgrimage from Virginia.

Over the weekend, I took a trip down to our Nations Capitol and toured the The Capitol Building. I noticed that all of the Capitol Police were outfitted with either Safariland or Bianchi Holsters for there sidearms (the either loved or despised glocks).

Is this the trend for law enforcement departments? A switch from leather to kydex?

By the way, I was also suprised to see a number of them carrying H & K submachine guns. Times sure have changed.

Chris

G

·
I bought my first Kydex holster a few months ago. It was a Fobus paddle holster for my favorite carry pistol, a Bersa Thuner .380. I have since bought two more Kydex paddle holsters: another Fobus for my Rock Island Armory 1911 Government Model and an Uncle Mike's for my Taurus PT-92.

I like the Fobus paddle holsters so much I plan to get one for the PT-92. (I have found the Fobus design is much easier to remove than the Uncle Mike's. You just about have to take your pants off to get the Uncle Mike's paddle unhooked from the belt.)

I only own one leather holster, an old S&W belt holster for 4-in K-frames that I bought for $5 at a flea market, but I actually like it a lot and use it at the range.

I also own several Uncle Mike's nylon holsters (IWB, OWB and pocket) and one Passport nylon IWB for my Bersa .380.

I have never paid more than $30 for a holster, but that seems sufficient given that I have a rule that I generally will not spend more than $300 for a gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts