Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What self-defense load do you think is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the gun world? What perfectly good self-defense calilber gets no respect? What round is not considered "sexy" or "cool" today, but you believe is well-suited to gunfighting? Forgot to add "Other" as a catagory, but feel free to write it in!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I put .44 Special and feel the same about .45 Colt. It seems to me that most of the shooting public overlooks these fine old rounds when considering the number of revolvers made for them compared to .38/.357. As a result, appropriate high-performance ammunition choices are limited.

Best.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I actually carried a .44 Special for a while, but the guns made in .44 and .45 Colt tend to be kind of bulky for daily carry. In cooler weather I have been known to pack a 4" Model 29 loaded with .44 Special Silvertips, however.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put .45 Long Colt.

I like this round. It's big bore, with enough room in the case to really play around with velocities and bullet weight. One day, I want to get an older, pre-lock Mountain Gun in this chambering.

The same goes for the .44 special. Heck, I know "gun people" that weren't even aware that .44 special existed, until I brought it up in a conversation.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't know anyone that carries a Makarov and only one of my group even owns one. With 9mm Luger so popular, the 9x18Mak round just seems to be only a collectors fun round for the range anymore. If you didn't say "self-defense" then I wouldn't have marked it.
og

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also went with the .44 spl. I have a Model 24 on my hip even as we talk. Like Stephen Camp, the .45 Colt is up there too. Some day I might get a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. That would be sweet. I have a Tom Threepersons-style holster for my Vaquero, which I sometimes carry for hunting and/or general woods rambling, and it conceals OK, so when going or coming to/from the woods, I feel plenty well-armed -- although I cannot shoot that single action as fast as a double-action revolver.

·
Registered
720 Posts
glad to see some Mak fans. When you compare velocity to 9mm luger, there is very little difference. I guess if ammo was more available and somebody made a 9X18 handgun besides the Makarov, it might be more appreciated.
Oh, BTW, for some good comparison check out goldenloki's gelatin test data.
www.goldenloki.com
FWIW,
og

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.44 Special is a good all round round. The only fault is that it is only for a wheel gun. Therefore limited number of rounds that can be easily carried.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Very difficult because the question requires a value on what is not appreciated.

I can't really disagree with anyone's assessment on this.

I picked the .44 mag from the list because I get the sense that there is a large % of folks who claim it is "overpowered" or "uncontrollable".

I might agree with that observation in many factory loadings but there are some excellent self defene loads available in .44. The 210 Silver Tip, the Cor-Bon 165, The Speer Blazer 240 JHP (which goes right at 1050 from a 4" barrel and is quite controllable) and several others are really nifty defesnes or general purpose field loads.

Still, lots of good calibers there.

We should probably have a "Most Overrated" cartridge. The .380 probably belongs on that one but the .357 mag gets my vote - not because it is a lousy cartridge (it certainly is not) but because so many folks have the wrong impression that it will "stop" with one shot almost instantly (a case of miss perception, more than miss representation on the part of the folks who report on such things).

Onward,
Jim

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I voted .45 Long Colt because the 44 Special has enough votes. Both rounds would be greatly improved with the new bullet and powder technologies.

If the 44 and 45 came in smaller DA revolvers (5 shot?) they would fit more hand sizes. I think one of the revolver manufacturers should conspire with one of the ammo companies to breath life into these great rounds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I voted for the 10mm due to its inherent versatility. It is truly the "Rodney Dangerfield" of combat cartridges of the 21st century! It begs the question... Why?

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like the 10mm better if it was a little shorter, so it would fit in a smaller frame (like a 9mm-size grip frame). Also, if it was downloaded a bit, so that it didn't have so much kick for faster follow-up shots. I would absolutely love it if someone would just do that for me.... ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like the 10mm better if it was a little shorter, so it would fit in a smaller frame (like a 9mm-size grip frame). Also, if it was downloaded a bit, so that it didn't have so much kick for faster follow-up shots. I would absolutely love it if someone would just do that for me.... ;)
Smart a$$!

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fourtyoffourty,
You know if they did that then it would likely be a cartridge that would catch on with LE and civilians quicker than any other cartridge before it. Heck every maker of semi-autos would offer a gun chambered for it

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fourtyoffourty,
You know if they did that then it would likely be a cartridge that would catch on with LE and civilians quicker than any other cartridge before it. Heck every maker of semi-autos would offer a gun chambered for it
Yeah, it would probably take cooperation between an ammunition maker and a large, firearms manufacturer, just to get the ball rolling. If only..... :-*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts