Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot and Gun Show at West Point, Ky, located just North of Fort Knox just South of Louisville. Ky. Its a three day event and one of the largest "milsurp" gun shows in the country. If you are interested in machine guns from all over the world and what to shoot them this is the place, or if you are interested in milsurp this is the place, and if you can't find what you are looking for then the chances are you aren't ever going to find it....... ::)

This year the rain moved in friday evening and stayed all day saturday, it was a quagmire and a lot of the cars and some trucks couldn't get out till monday, it was a mess, but it didn't stop the show or the people coming to the show, it was packed every day. Both the upper and lower ranges stayed busy all day, and the night shoots were specular.

The highlight for me was finding a EX condition [98%] '62 E.G. Makarov with maintenance log, and it came with 2 mags and one of them had a matching SN and a holster, price was $300 OTD. Have not had time to take it to the range yet but will report it as soon as I can.

papabear

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I haven't been to Knob Creek in eight years, but as I recall, rain was always a requirement! The tractors kept busy dragging cars out of the muck in the parking lot.
The rainy days were when we went to the Patton Museum at Ft Knox.

The last time I was there, I was SMG hunting, so bypassed a Browning Superposed for a real deal at one of the first tables. I still regret passing that one up.
Glad to see you didn't pass one up.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello papabear,

That is a very exquisite example of the East German Makarov and I bet you were very happy to find one in such excellent condition. They are very highly sought after and I owned a Bulgie a couple of years ago.

Please let us know how it shoots for you and thank you for sharing the picture with us.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't been to Knob Creek in eight years, but as I recall, rain was always a requirement! The tractors kept busy dragging cars out of the muck in the parking lot.
BarryinIn,

Understand the going to the Patton Museum on rainy days, and a excellent idea, however, I only had the one day to be there, other wise I would have done the same for sure.

papabear

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
[quote:laomzuqb]I haven't been to Knob Creek in eight years, but as I recall, rain was always a requirement! The tractors kept busy dragging cars out of the muck in the parking lot.
BarryinIn,

Understand the going to the Patton Museum on rainy days, and a excellent idea, however, I only had the one day to be there, other wise I would have done the same for sure.

papabear[/quote:laomzuqb]

I understand. That was a long time ago when I used to go down and stay overnight with a couple of guys who were exhibitors at KC and camped in a nice camper. It seemed like the rain usually cleared on the last day, making Saturday museum day for me, and Sunday MG day.
Then I didn't go for several years, and went back once in 1999. It was a lot bigger, with many many more people. We made it to the museum that day also, but it was only because we gave up on fighting the crowd at KC and left early.
It would be awful hard to see both in one day.

I was wondering if you knew/heard anything about this-
The NRA Convention is to be in Louisville, KY next year. The last couple of years, it has been on the same weekend as Knob Creek. I can only imagine what it would be like to have both at the same time, within a few miles of each other.
I was wondering if you heard anything about that when you were there?
For all I know, the NRA Conv is scheduled for a different month next year, but thought you might have heard something while there.

G

·
That's the prettiest Mak I've ever seen. Get in contact with Hakan Pek or Mr. Marschal, and it will be even prettier!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BarryinIN,

Yelp, same info I got at KC. The older vender's were complaining about the added sections to the back section of the pavilion, with a bunch of the tables with non related milsurp items.....I did see a some, but most gun shows today have the same thing with the beef jerky and such, the promoters are trying to make a buck a guess, its just the sign of the times, how much longer will we be having gun shows and machine gun shoots???

papabear

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yeah, it was like a big change came over it after it was "discovered". The guys who were exhibitors that I used to go visit don't go anymore because it's "too big" and "too crowded".
What do they expect? Like anything else, a good show attracts a crowd.
The oldtmers complain about the crowd, but most probably wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Papabear,

That is one sweet MAK!. Decent price. It appears almost brand new.
That AND you got to go to "The Creek". Doesn't get much better does it?

Wes

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Papabear,

That is one sweet MAK!. Decent price. It appears almost brand new.
That AND you got to go to "The Creek". Doesn't get much better does it?

Wes
No it doesn't, a least for me. The Mak does have the typical holster wear, but only two very small spots, one on each side of the muzzle, for me it adds character, but yes it is in EX condition. I've been into milsurp for a quite a while now and this was my first trip to KC mainly because of the way I worked, but now that I'm retired and I've got the time however, now don't have the money like I use to. I looked forward to this trip for some time, even though the weather didn't cooperate it was a great trip. Getting to meet two guys from another board was simply outstanding. We had a great time, and friendships were made. Don't get me wrong, the E.G. Mak for me was a excellent find but was just the icing on the cake, making two new friends was the real highlight of my trip. We already have plans for KC's Oct shoot and show.

papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats Papabear on your new Mak. That sure is a beauty and worth every penny of what you spent. Good luck to you in your ventures and please keep posting.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's a nice looking MAK! I have an E.G. in great working order but it could use a refinish. It has a Teddy Jacobson action job and fluff and buff on it. I find it more accurate (at least easier for me to shoot more accurately) than my CZ83.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts