Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springfield and Kimber both have very small 1911, 9mm's.

I'm wondering which one is smaller, the Kimber Aegis or the Sprinfield EMP. It seems the EMP might be a little smaler, I'm wondering if the EMP is thinner than other 1911's, but I can't find anything that mentions the width.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
FWIW, I handled an EMP at the SA booth at the NRA National Police Shooting Championships in Albuquerque last weekend. It was small, but not overwhelmingly so. (My longer-barrelled Kahr P9 Covert seems smaller.) I don't recall it being thinner across the metal than an ordinary 1911, tho I didn't specifically look for that.

It was neat, but not so neat as to make me say, "Man, I've got to have one of those." And I'm a 9x19 fan who was hoping for a gun just such as this.

I'm not saying it's not the right one for you, just that I was sort of disappointed at how large it actually came out. (Plus, I'm just not that impressed by the 9x19 out of a 3" tube - an extra half-inch would really help the ballistics.)

G

·
If Springfield didn't scale down the slide, then I'm not sure what the "point" of the gun is!

The grip is smaller, which may help some people, but a 45 slide on top negates the "smaller" 1911 to me anyway.

No doubt it will sell though. ;) For a while anyway. Everything in 1911's seem to be selling now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manager of the gun store where I do business said I would go crazy over the Springfield.
Then I heard about the Aegis. Kahrs are smaller. I would really like to see a 1911 in 9mm that was about the size and width of a Walther PPK/s. It looks like neither of these pistols is quite that small.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I know what you mean, amigo. I've wanted a 9mm that's similar in size to the old Colt Government .380 - a real pocket pistol. Not what we have here, I fear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Erich you are right. I really like my Kahr PM 9 (14 ounces I think). I may send it off to Novak for one of there trigger jobs.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My Kahr's trigger is smooth and decently crisp, it's just l - o - n - g. ;)

The Kahr is pretty sad in the aesthetics department (not as bad as a Glunk, of course ;) ), but it does work for me.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi adguy,

I'd email both SA and Kimber to answer the question and would imagine there might be a "ad war" brewing in the future for both companies as to who makes the smallest 1911 style pistol.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-emp.shtml

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/customshop/aegis.php

(click on specifications)

According to SA website, they had to reduce over 13 parts(?) to re-engineer the 1911. There was also an article in "Shooting Times" about the Aegis this past month, but I threw it out. (I don't read gun magazines much anymore).

Chris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris that's a great idea.

Erich I totally agree. I cannot understand why the Kahr is so square. I have a new SA XD 9 Sub Compact. It weighs only 20 oz unloaded, that weigh climbs quickly with a full clip though.
It too is very square and bulky. Seems like they could smooth those lines out a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw and handled a Kimber Aegis II a few weeks ago and was impressed. The gun's finish is A+, as is the fit of the slide to frame. 30 lpi checkering on front strap and mainspring housing; night sights, black Kimpro finish on the slide that aids CCW,etc. It's completely dehorned for carry and has profiled rosewood grips that won't catch on clothing. Thought about it for a couple of weeks, went back and looked at it again, then bought it. I've had it at the range three times, and its functioning is flawless. I've put about 350 rounds of both FMJ and HP through it with no malfunctions, and the accuracy is excellent for a 3" barrel. It's a great pistol, as has been my experience with other Kimbers.

G

·
I carry a Bersa Thunder 45 because it is compact/lightweight/reliable/accurate/reasonable. I flat out consider $1,250 too much money for a car/truck/carry weapon. My Bersa will do everything these two handguns will except be accepted at a barbecue. Regards, Richard

Ps I do own more expensive handguns but the Bersa works for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts