Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested, Kimber is now offering a Pro Carry II in 9mm. This is a Commander -size pistol.
My experience with Kimber has been great and this will hopefully be as reliable as the .45's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought one of these for my fiancee when she got her ccw. Have not had a chance to shoot it a great deal due to the cold/snowy weather but what little we did do shows it to be a nice reliable shooter. Best of all, my fiancee enjoys shooting it. This is the third Kimber that I have acquired and my experiences with them have always been positive.

Shawn

P.S. Legacy38, the standard mag capacity is 9rds.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent an email to Chip McCormick to see if they would modify the ten-round power mag to hold 9mm's.
Haven't heard back. Shoot them and email if you're interested. I wonder how many 9mm rounds that magazine could hold?

KCII, I'm glad to know that it is reliable.
I cannot wait to get mine. Is this the same gun basically as the .45 Pro Carry? I wonder how it will handle +P's

·
Registered
67 Posts
Legacy38, yes it is a single stack,

Adguy, the gun is from Kimber's tactical line so I guess it would be most similar the .45 tactical pro except that the 9mm still retains the internal extractor. I see no reason why it should not handle +ps, I have shot a small number of Remington 115gr jhp +p thru it and it handled them just fine. I'm sure you'll love it!

For what it's worth, I have been using both Metalform (I think Kimber's mags are Metalform) and Mec-gar mags. Both brands feed perfectly but the Mec-gars do not want to lock the slide back. In the future I will stick with Metalform.

Shawn

G

·
legacy,

The Kimber in question is a 1911 mutant and is therefore single stack with a 9-round capacity.

I don't have a Kimber but have fooled a good deal with 9mm 1911 derivatives from Colt and Springfield. Almost all you can get are 9-round magazines. The old style Colt magazine with separate rear spacer is fair, the Springfield Front Ramp made for them by Metalform is good, and I get good feeding with the Metalform .38 Super magazine having their convex front guided follower.

I have a 1991 Colt and know of a Combat Commander that will feed 9mm RN out of the McCormick 10-shot Super magazine, but my Springfield won't. Due to the taper of the 9mm P case it is tough to load the last round and very hard to seat a full magazine under a closed slide as for IDPA ESP 10+1. I have heard of the Wilson Super magazine being used for 9mm but those are out of production and mostly held close by Super shooters.

Tripp pulled the smallbore Cobra mags off the market saying there was too much variation in guns for them to assure good function with a 10-round 9mm or Super magazine of that design.

Metalform makes slightly extended (X-tended) magazines to gain a round in .45 and 10mm/.40 but have told me they are not interested in a similar model for 9mm or .38 Super.

So right now I am shooting my SA with 9-round Metalform Super magazines at 9+1. I like them because they are very positive on the slide stop as required for IDPA. I use the various 9mm magazines on the reload. The lack of a dependable 10-round magazine costs me the occasional reload, as it did once yesterday, but I am willing to pay the price not to have to search for .38 Super brass.

G

·
I ordered my Kimber 9mm yesterday-will be 2-4 weeks coming but that gun s really nice-Bull barrel, 9 shot mags(I have used Mec-Gar mags and they are as a rule fine) , good write up in a recent magazine. I have 10mm , 45 and now a 9mm Kimber on the way -if it works as good as the others I will be very pleased. Cant wait!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts