Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon.

My fiance finally got around to shooting her Kel-Tec P3AT. She did well, not finding the recoil at all excessive with the cheap Magtech and Independance hardball she was shooting. Her hand did finally start to hurt a little after about seventy rounds or so, but up until then, she seemed to be managing easily. If I fired seventy rounds through that thing, my hand would probably hurt a bit, too, though.

She's really still just starting out, so her groups weren't... well... groups. However, she did stay on the target at self defense ranges, which is impressive for a first-timer with a gun that hard to shoot.

I fired one magazine to test for accuracy. The sights were pretty bad off to the right, hitting about 2" to 3" right at only seven yards, but I told her to just aim at the right pectoral, between the sternum and armpit, which I think will compensate for the problem at most "social" ranges. At arm's length, that most likely won't even be necessary, so I think the sights will suffice. As for mechanical accuracy, it was better than expected for a gun that small. The magazine I fired left one ragged hole about 1.5" in diameter, just to the right of the bullseye.

The gun never malfunctioned, and firing seems to have smoothed it up even more than my hand lapping the slide had, already. It did have some trouble stripping the first round from the magazine, right at first, but that problem disappeared after about three magazines.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Chubby. That was a real work out the young lady had if she fired 70 rds through a P-3AT. I have one myself and I never shoot over about 3 mags full when I go to the range. That just enough to keep me in tune with it. I figure that I will use it at a very up close distance like 7' to 10'. I don't even use the sights as to me it is a point and shoot weapon. With a little pratice you will be surprised how good you can get at doing it. Give it a try you might like it. Good shooting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds encouraging CP:
Sure beats using a cowbell. Make sure you read up on arm's length shooting; it's a different animal than firing from 3 to 7 yards. You have to make sure your weak hand is out of harm's way and you will probably be point shooting from the hip for example.
good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts