Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well over 100 years ago Mr. John Browning brought us pocket perfection. Timeless and effective today as allway's. The Colt is the 1903 and the Browning the 1910/55,1955 ,(same pistol as the FN1910,but Browning stamped and both made in same factory FN),being when Browning sold them in the USA. The FN model was called just FN Mod.1910. Since the Colt 1903 was out of production the FN-Colt agreement was over and Browning sold the 1910-55 from 1955 to 1968 in North America. The July 17,1897 written legal agreement was Colt got North America,Canada and FN got Europe with Browning's designs. Thanks Ed for the info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
something I have always appreciated about this Forum...the amount of knowledge here seems boundless...thanks jeep!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mr . Browning went to Colt with his new improved 1910 Model to replace the Colt 1903,but Colt said hell no we all ready pay you 40 cents for for every 1903 Colt sold. So Mr. Browning went to FN and history was wrote. Over the next 70 years and making 3 times as many 1910,s sales over the Colt 1903 span of production of near half of the FN-1910 . Both are well made. Winchester did the same thing with the Browning auto -5 after a long time of making his designs. Mr. Browning went to FN to make them. John Brownings favorite cal. and gun was the FN model 1910 32 a.c.p and when he passed they found one in his pocket.

Attachments

·
Banned
28 Posts
u GOTTA be kidding, right? the safeties are granny slow and awkward, the sights suck, they are bulkier and heavier than many of today's 9mm;s, which offer 3-5x as much power as an load that is safe to fire in blowback .32's or 380's. and good, used condition examples cost less than the brownings, too (ie,$250 or a bit less, especially from a private seller of the pf9 keltec.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Can't put a price on Class. :D

The 1903 and 1908 Colts have Class in spades. And the safety is right under the thumb like a 1911 or BHP; it just doesn't stick out 1/4" like some of the ridiculous rigs I see at the range.

The pf9 (despite being functional and powerful) does NOT have it.

Sorta like me carrying the pristine nickel 4-screw Model 10 when others K snubs are available here. I just FELT like it.

Or the 98% nickel 1908 Colt in a belt slide that shows off its classic lines.

I shoot the Beretta way better. Its a 9mm. Etc. Its actually quite nice looking in its own right.

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun. You may quote me on that :D (someone else said it first but I like it)

Regards,

Pat

·
Banned
28 Posts
ok, you can be slow into action, slow to hit, and weak with how you hit enemies. I'll take performance over 'show', any day.,

·
Banned
721 Posts
Jeep,

Nice collection! I would love to be able to shoot something like that. I really appreciate that you posted them here for us to see. Have you had a chance to shoot them much?

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The wife carrys the 380cal. 1910/55 Browning with S-B ball ammo every day. Even with the small sites the 1910's are very accurate and smooth shooting. This is her 4th carry gun and her favorite and last. She started with a Ruger LCP then a G26 , followed by a Berretta Nano. But once she shot the 1910 Browning 380 all the other pistols are gone. She named it Betty and will carry nothing else. The 32acp Colt and Browning are very accurate too. The Colt 1903 is made in 1918,but we test fired it and it ran perfect. The 1910/55 32acp is mine and I fired 100rds out of it with no problems. Thats the hallmark of John Brownings design's reliability& accuracy. This are not show pistols and have been used all over the world for over 100 years by all with great effectiveness. I have to admit that I don,t carry the Colt 1903 , but I would trust it too. Rule number one have a gun and when John Browning designed these he armed the world with effective reliable defense pistol's. To many times people debate cals. and different brands of pistols . There is no right answer,but have one and know how to use it and hit with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No in the smaller cals. l like the FMJ ball loads for defense. %100 reliable with the penatration needed to reach vitals. The 380 acp ball is 10-11" and 14-15" with the 32acp ball.The 32-380 hollow points very seldom open up and don,t meet the standards in limited penatration numbers with there low mass weight. Very seldom doe's the Ball FMJ 380 or 32 ball exit the body. Placement is important in handgun cals. There is no magic HP in pocket cals.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Does that awful muzzle bushing ever get any easier to reassemble? I dread when Lynda wants to shoot it, because the rule is I have to clean it. My fingers are sore for days afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
George it does not get easy. Back in the day they had a tool that slipped over the bushing. I have been thinking of making one out of plastic,( don't want to tear it up being primitive Pete),but have not got around to it. We don't shoot ours much,but when we do we keep them clean and oiled at the ready .My wife CCW's hers every day and fire's a mag or two every other month. To keep it on the 3-yard and 7-yd range combat target.

·
Registered
808 Posts
jeep, if you do make a tool for it, could I commission a second one for me? I do love the little pistol, but that bushing almost disqualifies it, especially as I get older and my fingers do not work as well nor are they as strong as they once were.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pair of 1955s in 380. Both have what seems to me to be a too-stiff grip safety. I have a larger hands and the palm does not compress the safety unless I try real hard to do so.

I am thinking of making the grip safety spring into an hour-glass shape, to reduce the strength.

These pistols have no sights to speak of, but I find they shoot where I aim and group well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts