Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan of the 4" heavy barrel K frame Smiths for over 30 years, and I've owned a few of them. Right now there are two of the old Model 10s in the safe, but neither of them is in good enough condition to carry. Both need work.

But my partner called me early yesterday morning and said there was one of my favorites sitting in a cabinet at one of my favorite gun stores, an unissued cop gun from a couple of decades ago. I called the store, asked a few questions, and told Keith to stick it under the counter for me. I went into town and picked it up today.

The gun is complete with tools, all paperwork, and the rust paper. Unfortunately, the manner of storage must not have been the best, because there are several small areas of rust that were bad enough to leave pitting.

I was about to pass on the gun, but my mind kept telling me a few things:

1. For all intents and purposes it's new, no matter what minor aesthetic problems it might have;

2. I really do like shooting this style of K frame;

and

3. I am on really good terms with Walter Birdsong, and I've been sort of looking for a revolver to send him.

Anyway, I cleaned up the gun as much as I could and fired 18 rounds through it out in the yard. My shooting sucks today, as the heat index is in the neighborhood of 110 degrees.

But the old gun works, and that's what counts. It probably doesn't help that I shot it with a handload I really haven't used much.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Leland,

The pic you posted shows a very clean and nice M-10 and I would like to be the first to congradulate you. If you decided to have Walter Birdsong work his magic on it, than it will be the consumate utilitarian combat revolver.

I would really enjoy hearing about the final direction you take with the M-10! Please keep us updated sir!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might as well tell you now, Chris. As soon as one of my friends heads up to Walter's, I'll ask them to drop it off for me. I was able to clean off the small amount of "seed" rust on the left side of the frame without seeing noticeable brightening, but the right side has some issues. I could probably hide 90% of the damage with very careful application of cold blue, but as I said, I was looking for a revolver to send to Walter, and this is a great candidate.

For a taste of what it'll look like, here's my M58 with the Black T finish.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Pretty gun! Can't wait to shoot it. Hope the weather cools off soon.
I just saw a photo of a two-tone K frame by Birdsong. If I can find the thread, I'll send it to ya. Looks all tactical and stuff. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice fine there Mr.LelandRay. I know it will be one fantastic revolver when you get it back. Good luck with it.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. LelandRay,

Congradualtions to adding a new pre-lock model 10 to your collection there sir. I think once Mr. Walter gets the chance to work his magic on this beauty, it will look like the model 58's grandchild. Once you get it back from Mr. Walter, please share a pic of your new upgraded lady with us sir.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Leland-
I know this is a thread about your 10 (and congrats) but that 58 is awesome. I have to find one!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Leland that's just unfair to post a picture of a pinned barrel 58 with diamond stocks!!!!

I second the purchase of the M10 HB. one of my favorites also! I think I have a pair around here somewhere as well as a Pair of M13s in 4" and 3". You might say I have a thing for S&Ws

Jim H.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim, I have a 3" HB round butt 10, and it's arguably the one I can shoot best of all. This "new" Model 10 is going to take a small bit of work in the innards, along with some practice on my part and some Birdsong magic to make it into what I want it to be.

After all is said and done, I'll have $350 in it, not counting the Hogue grips I've put on it to make it more "Leland friendly."

And yeah, that 1967 S-series M58 is purty nice, it just looked pretty rough when I got it. I'm told that the diamond grips are worth about what it would take to get another Model 10. Maybe I should sell them? Nah, they're numbered to the gun.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Leland, I'd just about kill for another 58! Only one I've ever seen for sale here, I bought over 20 years ago. How much do they run in your AO?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen even rough 58s go for $600 recently and really nice ones fetch $800. A friend of mine has one of the rare factory nickeled guns. I'm really afraid to ask on that one, but I think I could safely say that $900 would be a bargain.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am noticing a sharp climb in classic S&W, especially in calibers over .40 but even the .38s and .357s are going up.

I guess not everyone is a fan of the lock and the new frame silhouette :-/

Get em while you can!

Jim H.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts