Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, you may recall that gunsmith Sam Damewood of Alamogordo, New Mexico worked his magic on my Smith & Wesson Model 65-5 for me, doing an action job, bobbing the hammer to match the profile of a 547's hammer, etc.

Well, I imposed on him to do some similar work on my Model 36-1.

Here are both guns before Sam worked on the 36 and before the 65 got a bead-blasting.

I believe I've discussed S&W factory stocks with members of this forum. I find the factory stocks for a J-frame to be pretty good when I let my thumb hang down along the curve on the top of the stock. This would get my hand up high on the gun - minimizing recoil and allowing it to "point" very naturally; the only problem with this was that the web of my hand would interfere with the arc of the hammer.

Well, having Sam bob the 36-1's hammer as he did the 65-5's really helped. Now I can fire the gun just fine with my "high" grip.

Another thing that drove me nuts was the serrated trigger. What was S&W thinking putting such a thing on a down-and-dirty "combat" revolver? Well, Sam took care of that!

Nice, polished trigger face is a pleasure to stroke.

The other thing I thought of was, well, maybe a bit silly. But I'd always liked the gold-beads in the front sights of older "serious" revolvers. I asked Sam to do one up for me. He did, but wasn't pleased with how it hung up on the draw, so he flattened it. I'm delighted with the results - the bead draws my attention in low light (especially when used with Mas Ayoob's "Stressfire" sighting system) and is not at all distracting from the outline of the front sight for target work.

An action job completed the package. I was able to get to the range today with some friends (perfectly glorious weather! :)) and I was very pleased with the gun's performance. I rapidly fired 49 of 50 rounds into the black of a target at 10 yards, double-action. The gun was able to group decently, despite probably pilot error. Any S&W is a pleasure to shoot single-action, but Mr. Damewood made this a joy to shoot DA as well.

I got decent velocities. This is the gun that I got 968 fps with my handloaded plated wadcutter defensive load. I was getting around 910 fps average with my Hornady 158-grain LSWC-over-Unique load (I liked it enough that I think I'll keep it in the gun from now on - that's the target on the right, by the way). The gun is tiny enough for front-pocket carry and completely unnoticeable IWB. It's just as easy to hide in the SmartCarry as my P9 Covert.

I'm so thrilled with how this came out - amazing how a few little tweaks can make a good gun into a great one!

Once again, I owe thanks to my gunsmith friend from Alamogordo, NM! :) Great to have something work out as well as I'd hoped!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Man, you have some really nice revolvers there and more importantly have had them reliably altered but a little to have them set up for you.

Nice.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Erich,

I am really happy to hear the work turned out so well for you. It looks like another shooter for sure. Like you I never cared for the serrated triggers. The Texas Ranger combat trigger lived in all my L and K frames. I am not sure what it was called, but it was the same basic trigger, and it lived in all my J frames too.

With the J frame Smiths, I always preferred the 3" heavy barrels as they had smaller versions of the model 10 fixed sights, long before they began to offer the same sights on their shorter barrels.

Enjoy it sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Really super work and a nice job! Sam has taken a very nice revolver and made it even more functional! The addition of the gold bead is a class act my friend.

Very nice shooting! You have a very good companion for your hikes in the mountains when it stops snowing and a revolver you can definately be proud of.

Chris

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I received many howls of "don't" when I wanted to rework my M36-nothing square butt. However, I may yet proceed with changes somewhat similar to yours. My ancient Chief has sights which are completely useless to my old eyes and I have always prefered the 3" barrel to the tiny 1.75 thing. Very nicely done. I would require the dreaded Tyler T but I concur completely with the end of those finger cutting serrations on the trigger. I always have them removed as a matter of course. Good looking gat!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very nice set of revolvers you have there Erich. I always like to here how everybody tweaks theirs out as it gives me ideas for what I might want to do. Good luck with them as I set here drooling over the pictures.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much for the kind words. "Attaboys" from knowledgeable folks such as yourselves mean a lot.

I really like this gun!

·
Registered
645 Posts
+1 with all here so far, I have three J frames two 3" and 1 2", the 2" has SB so left it alone, but the J frame RB's are a tad small for my hands, but did find a set of Banana stocks that work for me, and that's what it is all about IMO, finding what works for each one us as opposed to going with the flow. Nice job Erich.

Papabear

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really like what Sam did with that Gold Bead. Makes a lot of sense and the angle should just about be right for ambient light.

Being a sucker for a good 3" J or K let me know if that little "shooter" ever needs a new home.

Zeke

·
Registered
35 Posts
Erich,

I applaud the choices you made in modifying those guns for personal work. It looks like you've found a competent smith to boot! Thanks for the good pictures. I may have to try the gold bead treatment on one of mine soon. I've been using Testors paint for years for the same purpose.

Regards

Jerry

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Eric,

I'm late to the party, as usual. I've always thought that 3" j-frames make a lot of sense. Yours are set up nicely.

My bride has a Model 60 3" with full underlug and adjustable sights chambered in .38 Special. She likes it so much I can't get her to use anything else for serious purposes...

Of course 'Smith lost their minds and started chambering them in the .357 Magnum.

Enjoy your j-frames...

Wes

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, gents. :) Years later, it's still a favorite - perhaps my very favorite (though I shoot other guns better).

I ran it with a T-grip for a while, but have switched to some Herrett's Shooting Ace stocks that bring out the backstrap and make the trigger the appropriate length for my trigger finger. Now it packs like a super-skinny (and light!) K-frame. Might not be right for everyone, but I do like it as I have it set up now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
nice 3" model 36.

i had one like that as my wife's house gun but sold it to finance a 3" SP101 because they are easier to maintain finish wise and when finances allow easier to get a front night sight installed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I keep coming back to this and looking at it. Nice looking gun (the 65 too).

I had a 3" SB 36 that was great fun to shoot. Pretty acccurate little revolver. I shouldn't have traded it off, but I didn't carry it so thought it was expendable.

The shop has another right now, but it's kind of worn. That would be OK if it was priced accordingly but it's not.
I really should quit viewing this thread, though. It makes that one look more desirable.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barry, thanks. I'm proud to read your kind words. I should bring it along the next time I go visit my family in IN - we could go shooting! :)

The 65 looks a little different these days than it did in that top photo . . .

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Counselor - I like those stocks. I have them on lots and lots of stuff. If we could only get PGS to make them in other configurations like N frames and K - SBs and for Colts D Frames! I have also found that a bit of Brownell's spray grit is not amiss on them.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have been delighted to have them on my DS, but now I've got some lovely stocks by Jim Badger. And a RB N-frame - wow, that would really make my 625 3" happy!

Barry, you never know! ;)

Man, these steel-framed J-38s are heck for strong, too. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts