Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to draw a gun twice,I have reached for it more than that.I have never had to shoot anyone luckily. I train and shoot IPSC to keep my skills sharp. I spend a lot of time in the backhills of TN. I have come across poachers and marijuana growers. Maybe I have just been lucky , but I was observant and saw them about the same time they saw me , without thinking I was ready to put 2 shots to center mass ( and yes they drew also) after a brief standoff they smiled and decided I was either another bad guy or I looked a little too confident. At these 2 times , time moved in slow motion and I was utterly calm watching the opponent in slow motion and ready to shoot without the slightest hesitation. I am not so sure the gun would have mattered as long as it was serious. Skill is great but you better not be bluffing. Darr

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Darr,

There is an old saying among the Samari: "A Samari's sword is not resheathed until it has seen blood."

The idea is the same- you don't draw unless you're serious.

I've found that when I had to shoot there was not time to bluff and multiple shots were fired on target- or should have been. I missed in one incident because I had not anticipated anything like it in my training. That can be found elsewhere here in the thread, "Holes in Training?"

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Yes, I agree. The handgun should not be used totally as an empty threat in the hopes that it alone will suffice. It can be hoped that it will be enough, but the gun must not come out unless the user is truly prepared to use it if no immediate and reasonable alternative exists.

Best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts