Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to locate information on loading 30 Luger. I have 85 gr. bullets. I don't have a wide variety of powders to choose from. IMR 700X is about it. Hopefully one of y'all have experience with it or at least a reloading manual that covers it. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

I have been reloading 7.65Para(30 Luger) brass for many decades now. I own a number of guns that shoot this round, and really enjoy shooting it.

First of all, neck tension is critical in this round, as it has a very short neck brass, and is prone to have "bullet set-back" when traversing up the feed ramps of many autos. I usually use a .003-.005 in. interference fit between bullet and case mouth. Do NOT count on a crimp to accomplish the neck tension, for it will not. The 30 Luger brass is designed for a .309 in. dia bullet. One can make a .308 in. bullet work if you are doing your job well. A .310-311 in. dia bullets works better.

I have experimented with a large number of powders, and found, for me and my guns, that good old Unique works the best. The recoil impulse produced by the Unique seems to make my guns happy, and so they function correctly. UIs this the only powder that will work......of course not. You will have your best luck with a medium burning powder......at least that what I found.

The 30Luger brass can be a bit of an onry cuss to get loaded correctly, but it can be done. Get yourself the latest edition of Lyman's Reloading manual. It has a small amount of info on this cartridge and the powders used in reloading. No modern book that I have found has a lot of info on it. I own a number of old reloading manuals, and have swapped info with other folks that load this round.

Are you scared yet?? I hope not. Take you time and let me know if I can help you in any way. Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was contacted by a gentleman from Hodgdon/IMR who gave me information on loading the 30 Luger with 700X. He suggested starting at 3,8 with a maximum of 4,1. He also warned that this is not their loading information. I've been an avid reloader since the late 70's. So by now there's not much that scares me, lol. I loaded some of the cases using 7,62 tokarev dies. Of course I'll never get a proper case mouth tension with those dies. I found that some of the cases held the projectile tight enough so as to function properly. Have you ever used cast bullets in 30 Luger? I know the round exceeds the 1000 f/s rule.

All said, it does seem like a fun cartridge to load and my old Luger is a hoot to shoot. Gotta get my hands on more brass as I have fewer than 50. I'll probably order some when I order the dies.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I do load lead bullets especially for a couple of my old Lugers A place called Western Bullets(I am pretty sure) has a lead 30 Luger bullet that is 92gr RN with a dia. .310-311in. I have loaded a lot of these, and they work great on Lugers with a "generous bore". I have a supply of Swiss military .309in 92gr. JRN bullets that work perfect, but I don't know where you can get any of them these days. I use them in my non-Luger 30Luger handguns, as the lead bullets tend to lead the bores on them.

I will suggest that you purchase RCBS 30 Luger dies and not Lee. I say that because I bought the Lee dies and they were too out of spec. and the sizing die looked like it was finished inside with a rat-tailed file!! I DO use the Lee FCD to crimp as it is a collet crimp in this caliber. Works especially well with the lead bullets. Starline brass usually keeps 30 Luger brass in stock. I NEVER can recover 100% of my brass at the range, and I do look for it.......old reloaders are all the same. I started in 1972.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome information. I use a red permanent marker on my brass. It aids in recovery by making them stand out. My Luger drops the empties within about four feet. But both of my C96's will fling the straight up. I think RCBS participates in the NRA Instructor Discount Program. So that'll help with cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts