Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been practicing handgunning at closer ranges than I used to. Five to 15yds is the norm now instead of 25, though I do occasionally still shoot at that range.

At 15yds I can take out three pop cans with three shots, bowling-pin shoot style, as fast as I can recover from recoil (and in a 9mm, that's fast). I've had to really work on it but have it down to about 1.5 seconds after the draw.

Now, I tried shooting at 25yds today. My normal used to be about 2.5". My groups have blown out to about 3.25". This could also have some to do with making the sights more hi-viz for up-close shooting and thus a bit thicker, but still...

What would you say my groups should be at that distance from a Weaver stance using a Taurus 92?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. No, it's not bad and could certainly be due to the coarser sights. It could also have just been how you were shooting on that particular day.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Very true on the sights and on your shooting that day. Besides, be realisitic Josh. Would the bad guy really care if your shots grouped in him at 2.5 or 3.25? Nope, trust me, he would not be caring about your group size at all.

The last time I saw statistics, LEO shooters still generally occur within 21 feet or less. My agency decided to accept that and modified its old qualification course to give short distances more weight. The problem was they had us shooting 24 of 30 round from 7 yards or less, which I felt was too much weight. The course had simply become much too easy in my view, and was giving some weaker shooters too much confidence in their abilities, rather than the desire to continue to work on their shooting more.

Most of the instructors immediately saw this problem, and began to give our input to the firearms unit about the new qual course. Eventually they modified the course again to add the 15 yard line back in along with the same 6 at 25 yards. That to me was a much better, more realistic course of fire. We still fire the majority of our rounds within 7 yards, but still have to be able to hit from farther back too.

But personally I think there is nothing wrong with your group size at all from 25 yards Josh. I also think shooting more from closer distances is good training as well. Just keep moving yourself back at times, to keep that skill sharp too.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

twoguns

G

·
Dude, I might be the wrong person to ask about this but if I hit within the seven or eight ring at 20 feet with decent speed I'm doing just fine. Remember, we aim at center mass for a reason, and if you're shooting a man, you need to be able to hit just smaller than a man-sized target on the fly. Plus, distances are going to be odd, generally you'll be firing at something much closer than the standard practice distance of 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would not say it is a bad thing, though there is no way I can predict what exact challenge a person will encounter in their lethal force encounter.

There are trends however. You are much more likely to need several good hits to the sternum in rapid succession (you only have the rest of your life to stop the bad guy from firing a lethal shot) at very close range.

Practical shooting at short range is not harder than shooting at longer range - it is just different.

Since I cannot predict what I might need I practice with my handguns at 3 to 100 yards (and fairly often I get to shoot out to 300 meters on a military rifle range but I dont expect that is a really necessary skill and would not do it as regular practice regimine).

I figure the ability to hit a man's sternum about 5 times (or more) in 1 second at 15 *feet* is probably a better survival skill than being able to put 5 rounds in 2" at 25...but I want to be able to do both.

Keep plugging!
Jim H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts