Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I suspect strongly that we all have favorite firearms or action types or calibers for a number of reasons. Some will be unique to us while others might be more universal. Some of the latter probably include:

Ease of a particular handgun to shoot well
Good trigger and good sights or both
Reliable
Comfortable to shoot
Comforting if in the "dark place"

Others might be:

Easy to carry
Caliber is what the user considers potent enough
Finish is tough as nails

Do you believe that the shooter or the gun makes the "difference", particularly in deadly force situations?

It's been my observation that the willingness of the shooter to actually shoot while he can still maybe "win" is probably more critical than the weapon. After that comes
ability to get hits, use sound tactics, and a bit farther down the list, ammo and/or gun type.

This type handgun would be first on the list of "must have" or "No. 1 for self-protection" but others would not use one on a bet.

Others might very well prefer the revolver and "six for sure" to the "electric gun."

Yet another group might think only "Glock Perfection" will do. You get the idea; there are lots of different "songs" around, some quite similar and others not so similar.

Therefore, I reckon my vote goes more for the "singer." Of course, different singers are more likely to excel with "songs" they like or "sing" well and there's a lot to be said for a good one, but I sort of believe that a determined and capable shot will make a better showing with most any (reasonable) firearm when pitted against a less capable shooter even if the latter has a "better" gun or handgun type.

What are your views?

Best.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good Morning!

Tools do not a craftsman make.

The warrior (while appreciating superior weapons) will make do with what he/she has to work with; attitude and determination to complete the mission are what will make the difference.

Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

My views on this topic pretty much mirror yours, and, a Good Singer that doesn't suffer from Stage Fright will usually Steal the Show...

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mr. Camp,

You have asked what I suspect is a a rhetorical question...

A qualified "singer" with the right mindset (perhaps even without a weapon) is probably more "dangerous" to a potential felon than someone with a $2500 "instrument" who does not know how to "play" it or does not "practice" with it, as that individual is a hazard to both himself and others.

G

·
Stephen,

The obvious answer is that the "singer" or shooter IS the weapon, but that doesn't tell the whole story does it? You may have all the talent of Ed McGivern, but if you're armed with a Raven .25, your effectiveness is severely limited regardless of your skill.

The "singer" needs at the very least a passible "song." I believe that every effort should be made to get a reliable arm in a fighting caliber (whole 'nother subject), and then tune his vocal cords for the show.

GunGeek

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe The Who settled this question in their song "Join Together" when Roger Daltrey sang "It's the singer not the song, that makes the music move along...."

Sam

G

·
Singer is #1! The 'singer's' ability to "play the instrument" is #2, while the song is a 2nd runner-up to the instrument.

Scott

·
Registered
720 Posts
Both.
I can't "sing" with some old rednecky hunk of junk "song" that FTF's or FTE's or has such a horrible trigger pull I'm way off target when it fires or the recoil is so high I almost drop it between shots. I also like my "song" to have lock back on last round so I know to reload without the embarrising "clik", plus I like to be able to carry it loaded with a round in the chamber ("the CD in the player") without worrying if it's "safe". Really fussy about what "song" I'm gonna "sing". The song "caliber" is important too, but that's none of your business.
That said, assuming you have an "Emmy Award" "song" to "sing" with, then knowing how to "sing" becomes #1. Good to have a backup "song" in case the first one plays out or at least a quick reload in the pocket!
Whatever!
og...............did Dr. No really "sing" well enough to place his "music" in the eyeball??

G

·
Yet, granpa, if someone else picked up your favorite weapon, it would be worthless unless he also was as accomplished a singer as you. I vote with the rest: mindset & preparedness (which includes picking the song & practicing it).

G

·
Always been the singer. Remember David and Goliath?

This reminds me, in my younger days I was a roughneck. One of the boys I worked with on a drilling rig was a positively gigantic Cherokee indian. Not only was this fellow big, he had this forbidding scowl, seemed like it was tattooed on his face. Guy was big, looked mean. In reality, of course, he was the sweetest, gentlest dude you'd ever want to meet, just didn't have a smile muscle.

Anyway, because of his size and his look he was always getting picked on in beer joints. And because of his size he would usually come out on top in any altercation that might result. After awhile, and against his will, he developed a reputation as a tough guy.

Eventually he was beat up pretty good by a gen-u-wine pipsqueek. Greater willpower overcame superior weapons (bigger fists).

·
Registered
720 Posts
hi, bubbygator,
thanks for your comments, that is exactly my point. My shooting club has 12 members. Our annual club championship is 50 yds with .22caliber, 10rds pistol & 10rds rifle, B8 target. The club champion this year has some fine tuned firearms for that, better than the rest of us.
Yet, in our centerfire events I can beat him every time. He doesn't even do well using my handgun for centerfire. :-[
And one of the other members who doesn't do well with the .22 beats us all at centerfire using a S&W revolver.
We also have a quick draw, rapid fire cowboy event (full cowboy dress and belt holsters) and another guy beats everybody at that. I'm too slow.
Like a country singer is not too good at opera, or a rap singer doesn't sing gospel.
So, for self defense, just being a top marksman may not do the job if the handgun doesn't fit the shooter.
I'll repeat what I said in case I'm missunderstood....
once you find the CCW handgun that fits you, then, I agree, being proficient with it becomes #1.
Until then, I don't care how good a shot you are at the target range with your .22, show me how good you are with your CCW handgun. If your CCW is .22 and you can hit the eyeball (a.k.a Bond movies) everytime, fine, maybe that's the way to go.

Cheers,
og.......hope everybody is safe from the hurricane, lots of wind & rain here in N. Ala. but so far OK.

·
Registered
321 Posts
OG,

My Bond trivia is a bit rusty, but wasn't it Goldfinger who used the .25 with such precision? In any event, your points are well taken and constitute sage advice.

PGM

G

·
A good singer is always capable of a decent performance. Give him a good song, and he will be capable of a good performance. Give him a good song that he knows well, and he will be capable of a great performance. Give him a good song that he not only knows, but loves, and he will astonish you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
hi, PGM,
so many Bond movies with the main "Bond" changing all the time I lose track of who had what gun or caliber.
But wasn't it amazing how they always got a "one-shot-stop" no matter what they used. Even the girls with their neat little stainless pistols in a cute garter holster (Bond always knew where to find that!!).
M&S shud study the Bond movies for some real "OSS" data for a 4th book!!

Cheers,
og...........thanks Stephen for an interesting thread!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts