Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do others feel CZ-USA is pricing themselves out of the entry level pistol market? I bought my first pre CZ75B for $300 when they were a rarity. I gave $269 for my CZ75B on a closeout, and $249 for my CZ40B. I thought I was in "Hog Heaven" but now all I see are prices soaring on the CZ lines and the Dan Wesson 1911A1s. Regards, Richard

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, Richard. Yes, the prices do seem higher. I'd think that selling more of an item would lower individual unit costs. On the other hand, if new machinery/people have to be hired to keep up with demand, maybe that makes prices go up...or maybe with the increasing popularity, they just figure the popularity will cause the market to bear the price rises? Maybe the increased prices of petroleum products is involved since we all seem to be getting a dose of that as well?

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supply and demand, and it seems just like the MAK's they have been "discovered". That will do it every time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While prices have gone up, I believe it's more the perceived value relative to the cost.

While many of the Colt model 45s are priced a little to a lot new (and many require some sort of after purchase work to be "reliable" with HPs) the CZ97 seems to work out of the box.

In 9mm, the same thing. Whether it's true or not (and for me it works) the CZ line offers a good value for the money.

So while prices have gone up (raw materials can explain some of the costs) the value to the cost is still high.

There's two ways to look at the matter of costs (price is not exactly the same thing, but close enough for this example)

If you pay $100.00 for an item, but it doesn't work correctly, continually has problems, has reliability issues, and really isn't what you need, then that's expensive.

If you pay $1000.00 for an item, it does everything you want, fuctions without flaws, gives good service, and works well for you, that's inexpensive.

Of course, personal prejudices play into this, but I believe that CZs offer a very good value for the cost, the price notwithstanding.

Regards,

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would rather buy a Colt 1911 that didn't work and take the time, effort, and $ to get it to work than get a CZ at at a bargain price that worked flawlessly. I prefer the 1911 that much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pff hit the nail on the head. Look for continued price increases for CZs and other import items as foreign investors move out of dollar-denominated investments. The Communist Chinese ain't gonna fund our deficits forever.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ok, first let me address the question. No it's not just you, the prices of CZs seems to have risen lately. Are they pricing themselves out of a market? No. Why? Because quite honestly, ALL handgun prices have been on the rise lately. CZ builds a quality product, for years they "knew" it, but didn't, if you catch my drift. Now the world and CZ execs know that they build a quality product. I don't shame them for wanting to increase profit margins, plus the increased cost of materials is making prices rise anyways. CZ is quickly becoming a name in the gun industry. In a few years I believe it will start making companies like Beretta really evaluate their products.

Now let me get to the personal issue. I would buy a CZ, before I bought a Sig, Glock, Beretta, or H&K, why? CZ is a better company in my opinion. They still practice small company policies and listen to consumers and care about their products. The others, to me, are more concerned with bottom lines than anything else.

-Rob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is it just me or do others feel CZ-USA is pricing themselves out of the entry level pistol market?
I don't believe CZs prices have risen any faster than some of the other manufacturers. And I really don't believe it's proper to call a CZ an "entry level" pistol. These are extremely well made and very accurate and will provide years of solid performance with minimal upkeep other than normal maintenance.

--
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dollar has been devalued against the Euro over the past number of months, and this may be affecting costs here. Also, with an increasingly "global economy," we can expect labor costs between the West and the former Eastern European countries to gradually level out and CZ guns to get more expensive with time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We used to seel them with hicaps for $319-$339 just two years back. now I cant beleive what they ask.
They do putthemselves in line with other options at the current pricing.
I have no aversion to buying police trade in Sigs and Glocks which can be had from $330-$375 range it seems. And while I really do appreciate and have had no complaints with any CZ of the three I had and the many others I helped sell to patrons they are not a Si wether the Sig used or new.

I agrree with money exchange theory thoguh..many $300> range guns are becoming $400> range items.
Sadly my yearly average budget for such things has all but disappered. Which really sucks for me. But to me is another sign of economy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why are the CZ considered to be "entry level"? The quality, fit, and function are on par with any premium priced firearm. But if you want quality your going to end up paying for it. We are lucky enough that the CZ popularity had not caught on like in other countries so we can still get them at inexpensive prices but calling it an "entry level" gun is kind of a slap in the face isn't it?

My local shop sells CZ for under 400 bucks BTW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts