Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find non-biased information on this subject?

After reading articles in the news paper of shooting incidents I know this is only one side of the story. I've read several articles mentioning FBI, Harvard and other Gun/Crime Statistical reports being compiled by other organizations. I don't remember if the site info was included or where it can be found.

The LA bank robbery Shoot Out had allot of coverage and from different points of view. What I am looking for are other Web Sites/ Books where I can find this type of coverage and information.

I just saw on A&E a reenactment of the Berkeley Ca Restaurant take over from the late 80's. I know a LEO who was there tactically and told me about what he witnessed. It was down played at the time in the papers because of UC Berkeley's request. So the public never got the whole story.

I feel people need to know the whole story about these type of incidents so we can be better prepared in general. Information is knowledge and knowledge is power.

I remember reading about a college student who stopped a killer with his gun on campus and then I heard he was reprimanded for doing so. I heard everything turned out OK for him later but the point is we don't hear much about people protecting themselves with fire arms. We mostly hear about people being harmed with fire arms.

The NRA's American Rifleman Magazine has a section where you can find articles like that. "Armed Citizen" Now if those kind of stories would only get the same type of coverage as the other ones the public might have a better idea of how fire arms help.

I guess I am rambling but I just had another request from a family member to teach them how to use fire arms because of a break in at their home in a good neighborhood in Delaware. I emailed them some of the articles from "Armed Citizen" and they said they never knew about anything like that before.

So my question is where can I find material so I can research and send to them?

I hope this isn't political. I also hope I didn't cross any forum guide lines, I don't mean too. Little by little my family is seeing the need to become familiar with fire arms and I am more than happy to teach what I know.

You LEO guys must know where to find this information and asking you will help me by not wasting time. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bob!

MODIFY 1/12/08......... I went to the site and all I am getting are the adds on the right side of the screen. No content at all. I will keep trying and see if anything comes up.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Spikey,

It appears you got some help form Bob (via PM?) on your troubles seeing Clayton's self-defense stories, but just in case --- I've found that the ads push the "good stuff" way down the page, and you often have to scroll far down to see the stories.

I've been following those stories for awhile, and began to tot up some statistics, some of significance, some not. I do this a story or two at a time, so am way behind, but having gone thru the stories, some trends stand out.

A significant trend:

- Once a citizen gets his hands on a gun, the story nearly always ends very badly -- for the bad guy. Most home invaders/convenience store robbers/ne'er-do-wells end up dead or wounded, and the few that don't run away. This is pretty amazing given that the citizen starts with negative yardage, i.e. he is surprised, and more than a few times starts out with no gun at all, but either runs off to get one or wrestles the bad guy's gun away from him.

- Multiple shots are often fired by both sides, but not a single story I have read so far has mentioned any innocent bystanders getting hit. I am certain that such an event would be reported. (There was one story where a BG accidently shot his partner in the butt, but I don't count that as "innocent bystander." Hand of God or Karma, maybe.) Occasionally mention is made of a bullet hole in a wall or vehicle, but that is seldom.

A not-so-significant trend?

- A large number, perhaps majority, of the stories do not specify what the citizen used to defend himself. As in, does not even directly mention "gun." Usually says something like "Joe Sixpack fired several shots, killing the robber, " from which we can deduce a gun is used.

- On the other hand, the bad guy's weapon is usually specified -- handgun, knife, rifle, fist.

?? peculiar, eh??

Of course one should keep in mind that Clayton and his two helpers focus on seemingly legitimate citizen self-defense stories. Two drug dealers getting in a shooting squabble don't make the cut. Evident cases of murder, rather than true SD, don't seem to make the cut. Clayton started this particular blog in response to a college professor who claimed that true citizen self-defense stories were very rare.

Best wishes and enjoy reading the stories.

elb

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello: Like I said in my first post, you have to scroll down to see the blog.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there was somthing wrong with my lap top. I went to the site on my wifes desk top and it came up. Thanks again. You guys are all a big help. This is a great place to be!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This lap top keeps giving me problems so I think I will be getting a new computer sson. At times I can't even log on here. Anyway the site you mentioned does have info on this subject and alot of it. ELB is correct in his sumation of the site. Still I am looking for more detailed stuff. You have sent me in the right direction and again I thank you for the help. If I can find the type of info I am looking for I'll let you guys know.

G

·
It is evident from the many stories we read each day on gun shot wounds, ranging from hunting accidents to suicides, that the media is biased against guns. Many politicians and very influential movie stars are as well. They just don't like guns: period. So, the whole focus is to villianize firearms. They don't want to go on Oprah and talk about all the people who die from cheeseburgers at Mcdonalds and Burger King causing obesity and then diabetes, heart attack, stroke, or cancer. They don't want to talk about how many teenagers die in Chevrolet's each year or how many "Ford" related deaths occur. Nope, it's just the terrible, awful, Satan-spawned "guns" that are evil and would make our society a utopia if no one could own them except the police and military. That is why we must vote carefully my friends; we must also stockpile and hide our firearms lest someone takes office that tries to usurp our right to own them.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir and welcome to the forum. While I agree with you in your political and social comments made, at this site (as is in the rules) we avoid politics at all cost, having seen it destroy other boards.

Again, welcome to the site.

Best.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was only trying to find non biased information on this issue. I am not trying to get into the politics of the media and the anti-gunners. We all know that already. I have found many sites and want to thank each person who helped with this. I have sent the information to my sister who is a "Shrink" at a Veterans Hospital in Baltimore. She has already thanked me for helping her get a better understanding and different point of view. She may even join the forum. I know she will be impressed with the writing and information here. All the people here are very well read and IMO very high caliber. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

Mr. Spikey, I am glad to hear you are finding some useful information. Sadly, a lot of what you are looking for is not readily available to Joe Citizen. The FBI compiles an Officer Killed summary yearly, with a short blub about each situation. But that is restricted and not really what you are searching for.

Most police involved shooting are kept very quiet due to the ever present potential for civil suits being filed. As far as Joe Q Citizen related shootings, at least you have found a couple of good sources it would appear. Just don't be too depressed if you do not find much more in the way of sources than you already have.

Hopefully your sister will decide to join us here. She along with wives/girlfriends/daughters - as well as the male quivalents, would always be welcomed here by our membership. So please encourage her to seriously consider joining us. Also please remind her that my view is the only "dumb/stupid" question where firearms is concerned is the one that is NOT asked.

twoguns

P.S. Thanks for your call and concerns. I think I am finally back up and running. When I get the chance I will reply to my pms, but I want to catch up on the site first.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked with my sister the PHD'd Shrink and see said that there are very intelligent people here but she can't bring herself to register. Then back when the 9/11 thing happened she was one of my family members asking me to send them a fire arm for protection.

When I visited some time back I bought my nephew a small air soft collection. That little guy loves guns and I plan to teach him as much as he wants to learn. This of course is with the permission of his parents. I got him the clear spring models so they look less intimadating. I have taken my Brother in-law to the range in Baltimore and rented a machine gun. They are coming along fine. When they visit I take him to the range for the day. A guy thing my sister and wife call it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts