Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kroil!

After reading for years about how benchrest guys like it (it's an oil that supposedly creeps under the crud in your bore and allows you to just wipe it out), I finally broke down this month and bought a can. $8 from Midway.

(Wouldn't you know they'd put it on sale in this month's sale flier for $3.99? :-/ They did.)

Anyway, I tried it after a four-gun range trip today and it works!

The BHP has been gradually coppering up, but I hadn't got around to hitting it with Butch's. Anyway, after today's range trip, I saturated a patch in the stuff and ran it through my Hi-Power's bore on a 9mm jag.

Then I took the same patch, put it on a 10mm jag, and ran it through my 1076's bore.

I ran a dry patch through the BHP's bore - all the crud came out!
The copper fouling came out! Dry patch through the 1076 - same results. You could even see how the rifling machine chattered on the grooves - the bore looked better than new.

Anyway, I'm now a fan of Kroil.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

I recently bought a can of Kroll from www.midwayusa.com and started using it.

Yes it does work really good and now I use it exclusively for cleaning the bores of all of my guns. I usually follow up with a final swab of Militec and have noticed a distinct reduction in bore fouling.

It doesn't have a very pleasant smell though!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel gratified to know that you gents give it your seal of approval. I was a little worried that there was some catch that I didn't know about (e.g., it reduces barrel life or something).

Yep, Chris, the smell is a downside! It reminds me of some of the oils in my high school shop, though, so it's at least "old home week". ;)

I hadn't thought about swabbing some Militec down the bore afterward - that's a great idea. That stuff is slick. (Militec is another one of those things that I was really grateful to learn about - I was probably too cheap to ever buy it to try it for myself, but forum member Gil hooked me up with a tube. I'll have to get even with him by hooking him up with a can of Kroil!
)

G

·
About cleaning yr handguns, do you completely strip it once every while? Or just fieldstrip it? Do you ever let it soak in solvent to clean everything out?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Yana,

Generally, I clean my handguns after each range session, i.e. field strip and clean.

If I see a appreciative build up of fouling in the action, I use Gunscrubber/Brake Cleaner or another aerosol cleaner to blow the gunk out and then relube the action/trigger mechanism.

I only detail strip a handgun for parts replacement or modification.

I have soaked the metal parts of older Mil-Surp firearms to get them clean in a home brewed solution of mineral spirits, acetone, kerosene and automatic transmission fluid.

Chris

·
Registered
392 Posts
wow, i should get a clue!

i work in Aviation, and Kroil is a stand by item.

i can get this stuff at little or no cost. i guess i will try it for my pistol cleaning after a range trip.

p.s., i kinds like the way it smells. but im comparing it to burned turbine oil......

most of the time, i field strip my guns and let them soak for 30 minutes or so in mineral spirits prior to cleaning.

that was OSHP protocol when i was there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts