Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Billy and I went shooting on Sunday the clerk asked to see what ammo we were going to use? I asked why and his response was no ammo in steel cases. Again, I asked why and his response was steel cased ammo damaged their traps. I replied not many handguns would throw brass 25 yards. The shop should worry more about ammo made of steel and steel cored bullets! Lastly, all I can say is: IDIOTS! Regards, Richard

·
Registered
218 Posts
And rude shop owners! I decided to finally visit a gun dealer in my little local town yesterday which I had known about for several years. I had been going to the other gun dealer/gun smith. He was set up in an add on in the back of a mobil home in a residential neighorhood. No problem there. I walked around to the back and in. He was sitting in front of a computer in shorts, looked up, and asked what could he help me with. I told him I wanted a used GM 1911A1. He said he had nothing and invited me to look around. I did manage to get just a little small talk out of him. To make the story short he more or less turned me off, and continued doing what looked like some record keeping program on his computer. After about 3 or 4 minutes of being ignored (no one else was around), I left.

Would I ever go back? No. Would I recommend him? No.

Bert

·
Registered
213 Posts
Richard---I don't even understand the issue. What is this guy talking about? My local indoor range here in Santa Fe only allows handguns, or .22 rifles, which makes sense. For long guns, you go up to the outdoor range in Los Alamos. This is about bullet weight, velocity, penetration, and so forth. Who cares what kind of brass you use? The whole thing sounds moronic.

Kellar---Talk about a pet peeve. Why are these people in retail if they don't want to sell you something? My preferred sporting goods shop has knowledgeable people who use and carry guns and are willing to answer even the most inane question. (Here's the plug: Tina's Range Gear.) But there are two or three others that are just as user-friendly. My only problems have come down in Albuquerque, which is a much bigger town, and maybe they figure, you don't like it, some other rube is going to walk in the door. My question is, a local guy in the back of a double-wide, he depends on word of mouth, and you've bad-mouthed him. OK, maybe his dog just died, or he's trying to reconcile his checkbook, but all the same. I wouldn't go back either.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The manager of a range I frequent told me that they did not allow steel or aluminum cased ammo because it was too much trouble to separate from the brass, which they sold. I believe this could be the real reason many ranges prohibit Wolf and Blazer ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guy may have been a "Gunshow Dealer" New FFL's require a retail location, so maybe guy mainly deals at shows but needed a cheap retail location to fulfil FFl requirements. But I know what you mean there are several shops I wont go in because of outrageous prices Like the full price $19 a pound Hercules powder they insist is new, I once went to a store at lunchtime, dealer was outside smoking and told me I would have to come back later they werent open yet. Looked at sign open at 12, looked at watch 11:58. Same place had the clerk who insisted a NAA revolver fired both rimfire .22 and the centerfire .22mag because center fire is more reliable, uh dude .22 mag is a rimfire, "No it isnt"

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
From Richard's post it appears that he and his friend were going to shoot handguns using non-brass cases, not steel jacketed or steel core pistol or rifle ammunition.

It appears as well that many of us have met less than competent gun store personnel at one time or another. I know that I have. Some just flat don't know, but are ashamed to admit it but nice folks. Others seem to think that they are some sort of gift to the shooting community. I'm sure that we've all met them.

Why don't we get back on firearms, shooting, reloading, or the many other topics of discussion here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Gentlemen,

Mr. Camp summed up my thoughts in part, but as well, it's simply impossible to list all good manners in the rules. We've been through this before: Unless a person is here to defend himself, it is simply bad form to talk about that person.

Please remember this. I am totally tired of constantly expanding the rule list to include what should be, to most folks, obvious gentlemanly behavior.

No names were mentioned so we're letting this post stand, albeit locked.

Nobody's in trouble. Just please, think before you post. Name calling just doesn't cut it and that's really what I personally took exception to.

Josh <><

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.