Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

if today was your 21st birthday

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
and you had no pistols or revolvers...which one would you buy first ?

#3 ·
FN-Browning High Power

#4 ·
Hi there Paco,

Since I started out with a revolver (S&W Model 58) and a semi-auto (Taurus PT-92), I think that is kind of a toss up.

A lot depends on the intended use of the handgun. For a general all around use handgun, I would pick the .357/.38 special revolver with a 4" barrel to start out with.

In my honest opinion, if you want the full utility out of a handgun, pick one that you can use for plinking, target shooting, self defense and predator control (four legged).

Other opinions will vary.

Chris

#5 ·
Kahr PM9 and a CHL Class. <---That's what I'm doing the morning of my 21st birthday.

Of course, I've already got a Gov't Size 1911 to pack. Hence, the choice for the Kahr, but I might also pick up a .38 Snub of some sort, or a Browning HP, or small S&W 9mm Auto.

Then we'll party that evening!

-Rob

#7 ·
Honestly, I don't know. I tend to buy them as they catch my eye and I've got money. It was well after my 21st birthday, and I went to the store to buy a Walther P99. I looked at a Hi-Power, and walked out with a Colt 1991A1. I suppose I'd probably get a P99, since I'm getting one (the actual one I was going to buy in the first place) next Friday.

G
#8 ·
If today was my 21st birthday, pistols or revolvers would be the SECOND thing on my mind. ;) ;) G>M>F>
If I knew then what I think I know now...a 4" bbl. Colt Python. Which is what my Dad got me. Pretty neat how that worked out.
Do agree with NCbBubba that it was probably second on the list.

G
#10 ·
I'm not too far past 21 myself, and I chose the Hi-Power for my first handgun, because it felt the best in my hand when I was trying out guns at the store. Now, if only I could hit anything with it!
If I had it to do over, I would buy a Ruger .357mag. first, then the Hi-Power, bcause I can shoot my Dad's Ruger better than I can shoot the Hi-Power. :(

G
#12 ·
Knowing what I know now? Hi-Power.

Knowing what I knew when I bought my first pistol? Hi-Power.

There are two autoloaders on this planet, in my opinion:

The Hi-Power, and everything else.

What's more, the latter of those two only serves to remind me of how awesome the former is.

I used to think that I needed one of every kind of autopistol on the planet, or some such nonsense, but lately, I just want more Hi-Powers.

I don't claim they're perfect, but if I KNEW I was going into a gunfight, and I could have any handgun I wanted, with two reloads, and guaranteed reliability, I'd take a Hi-Power every time.

#13 ·
With my 50th birthday in 3 weeks, it's hard to remember that far back except that I seem to recall that shortly after my 22nd b'day and after I was drawing a steady payday, I bought a beautiful, blue with walnut stocks, Belgium made Browning Hi Power. $225 and that was a LOT of money to spend on a used handgun in 1977.

G
#15 ·
At that time I was buying long guns. . .military Mausers, mostly.

Definitely the Hi Power. Loved 'em since I was 15 and finally bought my first new in 1978 ( I was 26 ).

The standard by which all else is measured. . .

Nimbus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.