Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 9 X 18 Makarov, (using "moon" clips for headspacing) would it be able to shoot the .38 S&W Cartridge? The ill-fated 9mm Federal had that abilty and also had the same bullet diameter. (.360"-.361") Would that be a viable option for the people that want to shoot the 9 X 18 Mak in a revolver?

Just an errant thought.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the Mak round straight or tapered like the 9mm ? There has been a few attempts at 9mm revolvers. the tapered case gave it problems. I imagine 38 super moonclips would work as I use them in my .40 revolver could alo use the 9mm five shot clips that are out there. Id have to look at the dimensions but a SP101 chambered for 9mm would probably be the base pistol. but then so could a 38 special.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
This from playing 'what-if' with 9mm and .38S&W revolvers.

The .38S&W and 9mm are very close to having the same size case, close enough that they could be made to work except for the rim thickness. The rim thickness is the real problem. Using .38S&W in the 9mm there might be ignition problems from the excess headspace. The .38S&W drops into the 9mm chambers nicely enough, but rattle a good bit both laterally and longitudinally. Prolly not a problem at the pressures a .38S&W operates at. I may try it one day. The extractor rides over the rim pretty easy.

If you try a 9mm in a.38S&W revolver then there's not enough space for a 9mm with moon clip. A 9mm fits very tightly in the .38S&W chamber, tight enough that you could fire them w/o moon clips. Don't know if there's enough 'release space' around the bullet. Not going to try it. Ejection would be a problem of course.

I don't have any Mak rounds in the collection to try, nor do I have dimensions on one so can't comment on that.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are couple models russian revolvers chambered in 9x18Mak and 9x17 Kurz. But their cylinders are short and don't accept .38spec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been doing some research, and Speer's Reloading Manual #10 has 110-158 grain .357" bullets in the .38 S&W at some pretty fair velocities. When you can load a 110-grain .357" SJHP at over 1010 fps, the "old, wimpy, .38 S&W" from a 4" barreled S&W Model 33 doesn't look so bad!

How does THAT grab you?

Scott

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't know about that, due to the .361-.362 bullet but I had a 4" S&W 34 in S&W. I chucked the cylinder in a lathe and releived the inside half of its diameter (all of the ejector star if I recall) so it would hold a 9mm 5 shot full moon clip.

It chambered and fired 9mm just fine. Most of the 125s hit about to the sights. 115s were a bit low. It still chambered .38 S&W since the outside of the cylinder suported enough of the rim to headspace.

The guy I bought the gun from liked it so much he bought it back.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts