Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Sheriff Jim Wilson published an article in his monthly Shooting Times column "Gunsmoke", "If I could only have one handgun..." which mirrors several others that I have read over the years by Ross Seigfried, Jan Libourel and Others.

Albeit, the majority of us live in a country that is rich in shooting traditions and can own as many handguns as we please.

But, if for some reason you could keep only one handgun, than which would it be?

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Good lord!

I'm not nearly the collector/aficionado most folks hereabouts are, but going from "Pick three" to pick just one??

hmmm. tough call. Well, I guess I'd have to get something like a pristine used 4" stainless Ruger or a S&W Model 65 or 66 in .357/.38 special if that was the case. How 'bout you?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Probably my 1076, just because it's my most versatile handgun. I'm not saying it's my favorite, though. . . ;)

G

·
Geez...thats difficult but I guess Id say a full size Custom 1911 and if I could pick a RRA a STI or a Les Baer,ECt!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can't just pick one, sooooooo, if its a revolver, it's my long time buddy, S&W model 13 .357 3" and if its a pistol, my little friend Mr. Colt 70 Series. Call me old-fashioned, but these guys have been a winning team for me for many years, and I can't split them up, so if I could only have one, it would be a S&W/Colt .402 (.357+.45)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi Chris,

You are getting harder and harder on us!

I'm with Papabear. A SW Model 13 with a 3" tube (not bobbed, please): fun (revolver), compact (3" barrel, fixed sights), calibers (.38/.357) and look. The LW Commander is not far on the list but it losts on the fun factor (even if the feel of the grip safety is something too).

Now I must really get this Smith...

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Larry,

Our tastes are very similiar.

If I were to only own one handgun, it would be my M-65 with its 3" barrel. It is probably the most versatile handgun that I own:

It is a very tough decision or choice for most of us, but there is a lot of thinking about what each of us do with a handgun in the background of our choices.

Do you hunt? Carry for concealed protection? Use it for home defense? Target shooting or plinking? Can it be used for outdoor protection against large animals? How about ammunition availability or ease of replacement parts?

Chris

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Only one handgun? How about move to a more gun friendly state/country?

Actually, I would probably take my Stainless Colt Commander. The .45 ACP has enough thump to protect you in the woods AND works great on two legged vermin!

Wes

G

·
Well if I only get one I had better make it good...I'll take a Nighthawk Predator II(commander length-full size frame 1911), bobtailed for CCW...

Ouch. That hurt my head...I really need 5 handguns...

G

·
Ithaca Auto Burglar; wins the arguement every time!

But if that didn't match your defination of a conceal carry, then I would settle for a BHP.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Papabear,

That is one very clean and nice looking S&W M-13!

I own a 3" M-65 and would dearly enjoy have a 3" M-13 as a "companion piece".

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for your comments, I bought it new in 1988, it does have a few small wear spots at the high points, but the angle and lighting in the photo hide them. I use to keep it in leather holster, in 91' I started keeping it in a old heavy wool shock, an ole family trait. In 93' had to take it out one night because of a threat, thankfully didn't have to use it, but the hammer snagged on the sock, next day I took it to a gunsmith and had the hammer bobbed and the trigger tuned. I have no regrets about bobbing the hammer, but I understand why some would not care for the bobbed hammer. The 3" 65's and 13's are harder to find especially in decent condition now a days. I suspect its because they know what a excellent all around handgun they are and don't want to give em up!

Papabear

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I've thought about this question a lot, and I've seen it asked before. The reason I have so much fun with it is that nobody who knows me well ever guesses my choice:

A Ruger Blackhawk, 4 5/8" barrel, stainless, in .357 Magnum.

It's easy to carry.

It's chambered for a cartridge that's powerful, accurate, and easy to find.

There's always the option of lower powered and lower cost .38 Special ammo.

It's a stainless gun, good for the outdoors, where the elements aren't forgiving.

The Ruger stands alone. There's nothing else needed but ammo.

And finally, the Blackhawk is just darned near indestructible.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wish I could come up with something distinctive and esoteric, but no, mine would be either my 3" or 4" Smith 66. The 3" would probably get the nod, for it has the best out-of-box trigger I've ever found on an S & W.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think I would want to stay with a 1911 in .45. I contemplated going with a Korth, but probably would never be able to afford the luxury.
The 1911 points well, has proven itself to be reliable and is of classic design.

Wade

G

·
I own a bunch of handguns but at this moment it would be hard to pry my custom S&W Third Model Hand Ejector out of my hands. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
202 Posts
CZ 97B. Excellent out-of-the-box, feeds HPs, no grip safety, DA/SA.

Jeff Cooper stated circa 1988, "The best of the new official designs is the Czech 75, and if that weapon were available in a serious cartridge it would be the brightest thing on the horizon."

Mr. Cooper was referring to the 9mm. Since the CZ 97B is .45acp, I believe that meets his criteria for a serious cartridge.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts