Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick question: In these shooting sports must a traditional DA/SA auto have a decocker?

I've thought about shooting local matches now and again for fun but my Taurus has no decocker. My thumb works fine. It would be my number one choice as it's what I know best.

Thank you,

Josh <><

G

·
Howdy, Josh!

DA/SA pistols in IDPA are usually put in the Stock Service Pistol division, as long as you start out the string of fire DA. If you carry it cocked'n'locked, like a CZ-75, you are either in Custom Defense Pistol or Enhanced Service Pistol, depending on the caliber. (Think M1911 vs. Hi Power.)

That said, the safety officers probably will not like you using a DA that has to be manually thumbed down. I personally don't like such pistols myself, as I think the human error factor is too great. You probably disagree, which is fine. But a safety officer has to look out for everyone on the range, and a negligent discharge will get you a real quick invitation to go somewhere else.

Check up on the latest IDPA rule book on their website for equipment questions - they've revised it lately. If you want to use your Taurus, I'd recommend carrying it cocked and locked and shooting in the ESP division.

Hope this helps,

John

G

·
I have shot two full seasons of IDPA SSP with a CZ75 by easing the hammer down. I have never had an AD in competition or practice, or even come close. But my gun is a "pre-B" with long spur hammer, not the current burr. The burr can be managed, though. Angus Hobdell and Peter Mink, the two leading CZ shooters in USPSA Production shoot CZ75 and CZ85 with manual uncocking, not the BD decocker guns.

A few SOs have gotten nervous but nobody has ever told me I couldn't. Wouldn't have done him any good, I would just have read him the rule book where the CZ75 was specifically listed as suitable for SSP (prior to the '05 edition which does not give examples.)

But John's is the majority opinion these days when we must take extra precautions for the children.

As Jeff Cooper says, you will do as you think best.

As I say, y'all be careful, now, you hear?

·
Registered
649 Posts
IPSC would allow it. Don't care much for IDPA myself...too many unneeded regulations for my taste.

G

·
I don't think USPSA would mind, as you have to leave the line with an unloaded pistol. I just dry fire mine to drop the hammer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts