Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to choose one handgun to serve your range and home defense needs what would you opt for? In my mind three calibers come to mind and they are the 9mm, 10mm, and the 45acp. By limiting myself to these calibers, my choices are:

9mm:
Sig P226
Glock 17
Browning High-Power (BHP)

10mm:
Dan Wesson Patriot Commander
Glock 21 with a 10mm conversion barrel and magazines

45acp:
Glock 21
Glock 30
Para Ordnance P14

Now I have my candidates by caliber but I then look at them by their type of action. Those that know me acknowledge my love of S/A pistols and I could be well served by my Browning High-Power, Dan Wesson Patriot Commander, and Para Ordnance P14.

The other group of handguns that have my complete respect are Glock safe action pistols. This battery would be the Glock 17, Glock 21 with a 10mm-conversion barrel and magazines, Glock 21, and Glock 30.

My first instinct is to choose the Glock battery and few can argue against it. My only reservation is the trigger on Glock pistols irritates my forefinger during long ranges sessions.

My second instinct is to choose the pistols I love to shoot and they are 1911s and BHPs. I enjoy the accuracy and power of the 1911s and there is no handgun I shoot better and faster than the BHP.

I have at this point eliminated the Glocks from consideration based solely on my love of S/A pistols. Which of the Browning High-Power, Dan Wesson Patriot Commander, and Para Ordnance P14 pistols will get my nod? I am sure my Para Ordnance P14 gets the gold. Why? It is accurate, reliable, and has the firepower to handle all occasions.

The reason I opted for the Para Ordnance P14 over the Dan Wesson Patriot Commander and Browning High-Power is I prefer large slow bullets for home use and my recovery time between shots is faster than with the 10mm Dan Wesson.

What is your ideal range and home defense handgun?

Regards,

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Some of my decision depends upon what type gun I've been shooting lately combined with something that my wife can actually make shoot if something happened to me, despite her having her own revolver.

At this moment, my house guns that are within immediate reach are a SIG-Sauer P220 SAS w/DAK trigger and a plain ol' Ruger GP100. The .45 is loaded with Winchester 230-gr. Ranger JHP and the revolver with .357 Corbon 125-gr. DPX.

Were it just me at home, it would be either a 9mm Hi Power or a .45 1911 of some sort...or both.

First choice for me remains the 18" Remington 12 ga.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One gun for range and Home.........Para 1640 no question, I wouldnt turn down an STI, SV or Caspian widwbody .40 1911 Load to major in 21 round mags and shoot USPSA, TSA and Bowling pins load minor 10 rounds shoot IDPA or just play, and I get all the free .40 brass I can load. Home defense works just as good.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

SIG P-226 with night sights and loaded with Gold Dots for me and the S&W 642-2 for my wife.

As Mr. Camp mentioned, the first firearm that I am going to reach for would be my Mossberg 500 shotgun loaded with 000 Winchester Supreme Plated shotgun buckshot.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy,

My first grab right now would be my 226R stainless/steel in 375 Sig with Gold Dots, night sights, and tactical light. Once it was positioned I would be grabbing my Remington 870, extended mag, Choate pistol grip stock, Surefire light, loaded with number 4 buckshot.

Once I have it fixed up to suit me, my CZ 75B 40, with the 357 Sig Bar-Sto, night sights, and tactical light (the 75B slide on the SP-01 frame) may well replace the 226R, as I prefer the SA mode in personal defense pistols.

twoguns

·
Registered
296 Posts
As far as handguns go, I have my "Brazda" FN HiPower and a 1-watt, LED flashlight in a drawer next to the bed.
I also have a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with Honady TAP rounds in it. This rifle is about to have a Butler Creek folder added, flashlight mounted and the barrel cut to 16-inches. Once this is done, it will fit in the drawer of the bedside chest. I think this works well for me. From all I have read, the .223 will not penetrate interior walls and my groups at 7, 10 & 15 yards with this rifle are terrific.

I have a 9mm Kimber ProCarry II well concealed in the kitchen and a Remington Youth Model .20 guage with that holds eight rounds on the other end of the house.

About a year or so ago we found pry marks on the rear door just after construction was completed and we moved in. What made us particularly nervous was that there was always someone in the house during that period (Thanksgiving Holidays). It certainly got the attention of my wife who thnks "nothing like that could ever happen here."

My neighbor told me of a farmer who bought Model 10's and had one in each room of his home. I'm kind of thinking about adding a Mod. 10 or two. Crime seems to have gone up in our post-Katrina environment. For awhile it seems we were having more home invasions.

As I get older, I'm really a rifle fan, particularly the .223. With the folding stock folded this Mini 14 is more compact than the AR 15 and easier to store.

Most importantly, my wife and I have discussed a plan in case of a home invasion. I explained she may have a short window of time (if I'm not here) to call 911, protect the children, etc. if a big person is trying to kick down the door. Of course the next step it to wait for the cavalry to arrive. Make the intruder find her, behind a locked door in a defensieve positon with a weapon. My humble opinion is that the average, armed homeowner should think defensively and let law-enforcement handle the offense.

Here's a good idea. We use nightlight. Not small ones, but 40-watt bulbs in little decorative lamps. So we do not get up and walk through a dark house. A 40-watt flourescent bulb lights our living area very well at night. Think about adding low watt lights in your halls, living areas, etc.

Tactics, a plan, is very imporant. Great equipment (weapons, radios, etc) may do one little good if not employed with a tactical plan. Some home owners forget that.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have played the "one-gun" game a lot of ways in my head. I usually come up with one of two answers: a 1911, or a S&W Model 24. I lean towards the .44 spl., for all-around usefulness and adaptability.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the Model 19 right next to me, at the moment. It's about as good as they come, for that purpose.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My choice for a semi-auto pistol is a Colt 1911 .45.

I can't stay away from revolvers however and my choice there is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 HB.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

My most used home defense gun is my primary. A Stainless Commander, spare mags, tac light, and a knife.
Wife has her own goodies...primarily a 3" J-frame 'Smith.

Wes

·
Registered
69 Posts
At present mine is a 3in Model 13 Smith,round but.My wife has a Ruger SP101 3 in,magnaported,Trijicon night sights, hougue bantam grips.There are several 45's and 9mm in the house.Plus a 308 and a Moss 500 in the bedroom with the surefire forend(light) Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The majority of my collection can be used for range and home defense.I usually keep my Sig Sauer P229 in .40S&W around at night.Mine wears night sights and Winchester Ranger JHP's.Spare mags are close by as well.

I also have my daily carry G17 in a kydex holster ready for deployment.Couple of 33rd. mags are hangin' close just in case.

If things get really ugly(riot or angry mob), I'll holster a few pistols, strap them on my body, and grab my 12ga. pump shotgun(for daytime) and my Beretta CX4 9x19mm carbine(nighttime with its tactical lighting capabilities).

All of my other pistols are back-up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My in the night "go to" pieces are a Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl loaded with 200gr. JHP, and down stairs a tried but true Walther P-1 loaded with USGI 124gr FMJ. I do have better choices to go with, but they are a little more expensive and they stay locked in the safe. If time permitted, I'd yank out of the safe a Ithaca 37 Riot 12ga.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hy,

I do not know if this post is relevant for this topic, but let me explain my situation:
I have a FM BHP. (It is the only pistol I have) I feel comfortable with this pistol, because I have trained with it, I trust it, and I just love this gun :-*. I believe the best home defense gun is the one that you better know, and you better handle, so for me this gun is ideal. Now, I have tried to teach my wife how to use the gun, and the same to my older daughter.
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>
There I found a problem: they have not enough strength to bring the pistol in ready condition (Condition 3) safely. Slice is just too strong (heavy?) for them, and I noticed severe safety problems because of this. :'(
I do not feel me or my family will ever have the need to use a gun at home, so I am not concerned, but I guess that if we would need a house range weapon, a gun like a revolver, that does not need a relative muscular strength would be safer if my girls should have to use a gun if I am not at home.

What do you think? ???

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey, there, iagbarrb---
Do you mean the recoil spring on the Browning is too strong for your gals to handle? Even with a two-handed grip, full left palm on the slide, not just thumb and forefinger, pushing the grip hand forward? Or, isometrically similar, across the body with the weak hand reversed? It would take some practice, but your wife and daughter should be familiar with the BHP, in any event. I think a revolver or a DA/SA would be a practical choice for a back-up, and I'm sure the guys on this site can give you honest advice, and maybe different from mine. The real point would be what they're comfortable with, and of course practice is essential to confidence and familiarity. IMHO, muscle memory is all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry, iagbarrb, I should add that I have similar family issues. I carry on my person Condition One, but revert to Condition Three when I get home, for safety reasons.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hy Degastesjr,

Yes, I mean the recoil spring, but I have not tried full left palm. I do not feel comfortable, because as girls, they can hurt themselves.

I guess they have to practice, and then they will be able to handle it properly.

But I have no security concern at home, because we live in a very peaceful area, we have no enemies, and my country (Bolivia) has no big problems with violence. We have other kind of violence, but this is a political problem, that we cannot discuss in this site.

I always ask myself the what if, but the what if possibilities are extreme small.

However, I would be very happy If I can fire some rounds with wife and daughter sometimes. SOMETIMES IS REMARKED.
When I go to the firing club, I prefer to leave wife at home. Don't you? There are somethings that I prefer to share with the guys of the club, I want to talk the usual nonsense you talk between guys that have your same hobby, and after drink a beer, and talk more nonsense and have fun talking about guns stuff. This are things I guess you all prefer to enjoy without the ones you love.

Should we open a new topic to discuss this IMPORTANT theme? ::)

Andreas

·
Registered
194 Posts
Be sure that when your wife or daughter is trying to rack the slide, that they are holding the pistol fully extended out from their body, with their elbow locked. If there is any "give" at all in the hand/arm/shoulder, then it can be much harder to overcome the spring. Those of us who have enough muscle strength to rack the slide without extending the forearm and locking the elbow may be unconciously demonstrating a way that takes more muscle than they have. If they are already doing this and still can't rack the slide, well, then the problem is as you have already stated. I thought I'd mention this as it had not been said yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts