Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my neighbors, a widow, stopped me on the sidewalk this afternoon and asked me if I would take a ".38 Ladysmith" revolver off her hands. It had belonged to her late husband and she wanted to get rid of it. It was mine for the taking.

But, alas, it wasn't a S&W Ladysmith. Turned out to be a Charter Arms .38 Spl Undercover fitted with finger groove Packies. Condition looked to be at least 98 percent. She had an el cheapo IWB holster for it and ten rounds of Winchester 158 grain +P LSWCHP.

She told me that she had planned to take it to the local PD and turn it in but then changed her mind and decided to give it to me. So now I owe her a favor.

I cleaned the Undercover and put it in the safe. I think that I shall keep this one for the time being. As a rule, I don't spend money on what I consider "off brand" handguns. But I couldn't argue with the price on this one.....

Roadster

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had a Charter Arms handguns since 1976,in 22lr, 32H&R,38Spec and 44 special.They have all served me well, do not assume that the Charter is a "off brand" just m2c Doug

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

My dad carried a Charter snubbie for over 20 years. The only real use it had was putting down several crippled deer that had been hit by vehicles. Mom still has the pistol.
While the Charter's are not a major name brand they seem to work when you need them...

Wes

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dad has an old blue Charter Arms snubbie. Pretty light for a steel framed 5 shooter.

He's had it for years and never shot it much. About 4 years ago he pulled it out and we shot it. Shooting it double-action it would hang up every so often. He got me to shoot it and it seemed the cylinder bolt wouldn't drop down when it needed to. He wound up sending it to some gunsmith in NC. He said he had to make a part for it, that it wasn't right from the factory. He sent it back and it still did the same thing. One more trip back and he got it right. It was firing correctly on its last shooting outing.

Nice gun.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I used to have a Blue 3"(?) Charter 44spl. Bulldog back in the 80's. Ugly little monster, light and a handful to shoot but it worked every time I pulled the trigger. I sort of wish I still had it.

G

·
I love the old CAs. I have a couple of the Stainless Undercovers, several of the 3 inch 44 Bulldogs and a Pathfinder 3" in 22 Mag. All are well made and good to carry for personal defense. I do not care for the quality of the later incarnates of Charco and Charter 2000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts