Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago, a new young (female) lawyer in my office told me she'd heard that I was into shooting and asked me where she could learn to shoot. I gave her the names of several local instructors who I feel do a good job, but told her that in days of yore I had actually been a certified NRA instructor (never kept the certification up), and that I'd be happy to have her come to the range with me sometime.

She was interested, so I set her up with the NRA's introduction to handgun shooting book and talked to her about it after she'd read it. Lots of questions, this gal had never held a firearm, and (I take it) runs with a pretty anti-gun crowd.

Last Thursday we went over to a local gun store at lunch, and the fellows there let her actually handle pistols for the first time. She was surprised that they weren't heavier. In the store, she was able to try out the stances and grips she'd been reading about, and to dry-fire a couple of different guns.

Today we went out to the city range. The weather was horrible: it was chill and damp and spectacularly windy (several target frames blew apart - not unheard of at the ABQ range, but remarkable anyway).

In spite of this, she did oustandingly well. Shooting first .38s through a J-frame 3" .357, she threw her first shot high, but every other shot in the cylinder into the black (NRA 25-yd pistol target at 10 yds - she eventually chewed the center out of this target). Her first time out!
After shooting half a box of the .38s, she wanted to try the Glock 26. She took to the 9mm like a fish to water - no rounds outside the black (on a 6" bull at 10 yards). She shot about 100 rounds of 9x19, finished the box of .38s, and tried a couple of magazines' worth of .45s through my Glock 36. We finished the session with her trying a round of .357 through the J-frame just so she could see the power differential between the magnums and the .38s (she was impressed). She proudly took her targets off to bring in to the office to show the other gals - except for the one she wants to hang on her fridge.

Anyway, here's a woman who had never fired a gun before in her life. Her friends are mostly anti-gun. And now she wants to buy a 9mm and take up shooting as a hobby!
Perhaps she can influence her anti friends in a good way. :) It was a good day.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bravo Erich!

That's a great post!

Over the years, I've done that at least twice with female and single co-workers that were interested in learning to shoot. And it always amazes to see how well they do shoot. Unfortunately, I am not an instructor and alway's encourage them to take the CWP course as the NRA course is not offered with enough frequency at the local range.

I always encourage them shoot at least one of two types of medium calibre/velocity handguns, ie revolver and semi-automatic at a full size silloette at 7 to 10 yards. Once they are confident of the manual of arms for each and show some promising accuracy, it is amazing to watch their former curiousity/fear dissapate and be replaced with enthusiasm.

Great job Erich, I love to hear about people being introduced to shooting!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erm, I'm married to my sweetheart! :) My co-worker and I will probably visit the range again sometime in a month or so - I might introduce her to some of my shooting buddies.

I still have to clean the guns.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Guys,

3) Posts which stray from the thread's subject will be deleted. A 9mm post will not become a .45acp post, or vice versa. If you want to discuss something different, begin a new thread.
I'll allow what's transpired thus far. However, if you wish to continue the discussion, please begin a new post.

That's something I've never considered- "The Tactical Role of the Handgun in Matchmaking and Dating"

At any rate....

I am very glad to see Carolina and others taking the time to teach newbies the art of shooting.

I myself am attempting: The 6 year old has his Daisy Buck and Marksman dart/BB/pellet pistol, my fiance sometimes shoots my Romanian trainer (when she doesn't feel pressured to shoot), and the 17 year old was learning basic defensive shooting with the shotgun and .22 rifle prior to some unpleasantness. Now it's back to H2H only.

I find the hardest two things to teach are focusing on the front sight and making sure the firearm isn't tilted.

Bravo on a great job Erich!

Josh <><

G

·
I had a similar experience. A co-worker (female by chance) had an interest in shooting and I took her to a local indoor range at lunch one day. She's now a regular shooter, bought a Browning Buckmark .22 and she's a yearly member of the range! I think she shoots more than I do. I chalk this up to a big "win" because we work in a very "politically correct" business with many young people that would faint at the sight of a weapon of any kind. Way to go, Erich! We need all the converts we can get. Now you need to give her that NRA application!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea on the NRA app. I've gotten her an invite for a fully-endowed scholarship to a local club's CCW class, and we went looking at guns for her today: she likes the INOX Beretta 92F.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Interesting choice in hand guns, a Beretta 92 F Inox.

I guess one of the advantages of going to the range to introduce new shooters is the availability of rental guns to try out in rental case.

I am really not too surprised as the first woman co-worker I introduced to shooting picked a Taurus Model 85 in .38 calibre (she was a Human Resource Manager) and the second I introduced a Lady Smith 3913 9 mm auto (she was a Catering Manager at the Resort I worked at).

I guess that hand size, recoil managability and firearm aesthetics are all reasons for the selection.

IMHO Smith & Wesson has done a great job in introducing the "Lady Smith" line of handguns to bring female shooters into the firearms market and it's suprising that the other players haven't followed suit as this is the fasted growing market of handgun consumers in the U.S.

I hadn't thought about the NRA membership back then, but now it seems that American Rifleman is filled with editorials, articles and ads driven towards women shooters.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was a bit surprised that she liked the 92 that much. I would have figured that it was just too large. She has decent sized hands, though, so the grip circumference wasn't an issue, and Berettas do have a smooth easy-to-cycle action. She also found that it pointed naturally for her, and the trigger was undeniably good.

We'll see. I will encourage her to scope out a bunch of other handguns before dropping money on one. I agree that the Ladysmiths are really nice, but you never know how subjective impressions are going to be: this lady did not at all care for a SIG-Sauer P239!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hey Erich,

On second thoughts, I guess it's not really that suprising.

The gal my brother is dating and currently teaching to shoot also owns a Beretta 92 F up in Virginia. I really am impressed with women who break the "paradigm" in handgun choices.

Besides, you can buy those ridiculously high capacity 20 rounds magazines for them...

Chris

Post Scriptum: I'm also pretty tickled that the guy I traded with to get my BHP just laid 2 Mec Gar 20 rounders on me yesterday. I personally think they are awesome.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mec-Gar mags (esp. the 20-rounders) are wonderful. So are Hi-Powers. You must be pretty happy right now. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts