Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting stuff together to visit the range and I found magazines for a handgun that I do not even own.

Do I need a P226???

(yes, i can be a pack rat)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It happens, and I don't consider it a bad thing at all. I just had it happen today myself. I was cleaning up in the garage today and found mags for several guns I either don't have anymore...or never did have to begin with.
Stars, Walthers, Uzi, Remington 742, etc.

Plus, I found an Alessi holster that had been missing for a couple of months.
Hopefully, I'll run across the missing mags for my AR10 before the day is over.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, if you already have the magazines, then I'd say yes, you do need a P226. I once bought a new gun because I had some extra ammo.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Mikec,

The short answer is yes sir, I think you do indeed need a Sig P226. I am a long-time, major fan of the Sig P226, and have been carrying a pair of them at work, since the early 90s. At least until my folks did away with personally owned duty weapons, which after a few years they have begun to allow again.

If you like the light weight frame of Sigs, then just get a standard P226. However, you may not know, they now offer the model in stainless steel on a steel frames as well. That is how I purchased my P226R. I also like the tactical rail that allows me to install a tactical light when desired.

Just a suggestion to give you more bang for far less bucks. Purchase the 226 in either 357 Sig or 40 S&W. Then buy the other Sig factory barrel from your dealer when picking it up. So with the same mag just by changing out the barrels, you can fire two calibers in one platform. Then go to EFK Fire Dragon and for about $150 you can get their P226 9mm down/conversion barrel. Then you have 3 calibers in the same platform, instead of having to buy three P226s. That leaves you more money for ammo, reloading components, and leathergoods.

While I own the specific magazines for each caliber of the P226, factory marked - which was an agency requirement for me, I have also found the 9mm mag works perfectly in my P226R for all 3 calibers. My experience has been that caliber conversions in a P226 is extremely user friendly. That to me is simply another reason to buy yourself a P226 to fit those mags. Btw, the Mec-Gar 17rd 9mm mags fit flush, give you two extra rounds of 9mm over factory mags, and one extra round of 357 Sig and 40 S&W than do their factory mag. Since it fits flush, it is another nice option to me.

If we do succeed in breaking down your resistance, and you get one, please share your thoughts with us.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On the other hand, you might swap the SIG mags for even more Browning mags, which would give you an excuse to buy a HiPower!

Regards,

Pat :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello mikec,

Generally, when I run across odd magazines, holsters, accessories and ammunition; it becomes a reason to buy another handgun.

+1 on mr. twoguns comments on the P-226. I bought one and enjoy it thoroughly.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NCBubba, the only issue is where to spend the $$. My love is with 1911's. Saw the Taurus PT1911 the other day and I like the feel. Another P-35 is ALWAYS an option but so is a P226 BUT them dang P225's look nice too. Oh, the female wants a HDTV soon so some $$$ has to be allocated to that cause.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've got several hundred rounds of 38 special, 45 Colt, and 20 ga shotshells. I don't own a gun for any of them.

We won't even talk about holsters.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was out looking in my gun stuff box searching for some old S&W M39 mags and ran across 2 steel MAC11, 380 mags. I haven't thought about that thing in years. I was in Cali. with a LEO buddy of mine visiting another LEO friend of his at a Police Department range in Sacramento. The Sac. officer had a MAC 11 full auto 380 and we were shooting it at the range. It was pretty cool and I told him I saw some mags at a shop in Oakland for his pistol. I picked them up for him, lost them and NOW I find them. That was 15 years ago. Still no S&W M39 mags.

Now, do I need a Mac11 in 380? NAW, I don't think so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts