Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresh in from Kittery Trading Post. I posted this on a forum I like to frequent and thought that this crowd here might get a little kick out of it too.

Well here it is. Short and simple range report: 8 cylinders of 158 grain wadcutters that I paid entirely too much for LOL gave me impressive accuracy for a snubnose in sighted, unsighted, supported, and offhand shooting. With support at slow fire most of the six rounds will touch each other's holes if you're up to it.

This piece is indeed "very clean". Wear is minor and consistent with moderate shooting with proper maintenance. I intend to continue that trend. Someone did paint a tiny dallop of red on the front sight and quite poorly. I gently removed it after cleaning with the soft side of an emory board. It took a while but it didn't damage that rich Colt bluing and it got that awful paint off.

Unfortunately the paint was covering a tiny spot or two of wear, but nothing I'm worried about as that spot is often worn on any size revolver with fixed sights.

And if you're going to paint your front sight, you should at least do it right and use White Out. Don't put paint on a Colt that is just wrong. :'(

I have a new BUG as far as I'm concerned. Although one must be careful with ammo choices in a Colt snubnose, the overall performance of these guns is in my humble opinion significantly better than modern J frames in many ways.

First I personally find the trigger on most J frames to be entirely too heavy. Smooth yes, but too heavy relative to its size. I find it difficult to control the trigger well enough to pull it without shifting the postion of the entire gun noticeably.

For another thing the sight picture on these old Colts is a lot better. I know that with a gun like this the idea of using the sights is not exactly realistic, but if the option ever presents itself I want good enough sights to take advantage of it.

Now I'm not a slave to capacity, but this gun is not significantly larger than the 637 at all and yet holds 6 rounds next to the J frame's 5. In such a small gun that's meaningfully impressive.

The grips on this gun are also quite a nice shape. They don't conceal as well as boot grips but I think I'll keep them. The pinky shelf aids greatly in shot control.

Sure it's an anachronism in this age of scandium and fiber optic sights and +P loads, but I'm quite happy with it.

What's funny is if my research is correct, this gun is almost exactly as old as I am. I had previously had a Colt Agent I had grown fond of but I found it a better home with my mother.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Euclidean,

Very nice specimen. I prefer the 3rd gen D Specials to other snubbies and have one similar to yours; their actions are the best. Thanks for sharing it. Be careful with hot loads as the timing seems to be a bit more fragile than the Smith J frames.

PGM

·
Registered
430 Posts
I great way to "paint" front sights is to use white out as you said and then apply paint or use a little permanent marker(think Sharpie), to add some color. It's a cheap, simple, effective way to do it. A little bit of gun oil will take it right off should you change your mind! That's just a little tip for everyone here.

GREAT GUN! I LOVE Colt D-Frames, in fact I love Colts in general, but D-Frames are especially cool!

-Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes. Detective Specials are my choice of snubbies. The top one was bought NIB in the early 80's. It has the Colt Electroless Nickel finish. The blued one was a relative "cheapie" due to some very light pitting at one place on the cylinder. These darn things shoot much better than one would expect.................chim

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I only own one Colt snub.

Here is an Agent that I think was made in the '60's, maybe early 70's. I don't shoot it much, but have been very pleased with how POA matches POI.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is an Agent that I think was made in the '60's, maybe early 70's. I don't shoot it much, but have been very pleased with how POA matches POI.

Best.
Funny you should mention that, Mr. Camp. The blued gun shot maybe 4" to the left at 50 feet when I first got it. A local gunsmith tried to turn the barrel a bit to correct the problem without being able to break it loose. He feared twisting the frame. So he sent it back to Colt, and they fixed it no charge. It was returned from Colt with a test target!................chim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice little Colt Sir.
Here are my three.
1952 Cobra
1952 4" Cobra
1967 Factory Shrouded Detective Special.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello. I only own one Colt snub.

Best.
best looking Colt of the bunch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The grips on this gun are also quite a nice shape. They don't conceal as well as boot grips but I think I'll keep them. The pinky shelf aids greatly in shot control.
My Agent has those same grips but my Agent's finish doesn't look that good..parkerizing never does :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts