Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got a Dewey cleaning rod today as, last night, my old Outer's three piece broke on me.

The thing is about 1" too short to clean my M44! Haven't tried it on my .22 yet, but I expect similar results.

Sooo, I'm having to use one of my undamaged Outer's rod piece to extend it, which kinda' defeats the purpose.

I feel like an idiot.

Anyone know a solution to this? I don't want to buy a new rod - I'm hoping they have extenders or something out there.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well, by too short I assume you mean to pull the bolt and clean it from the breech end, which is greatly to be preferred, yes?

The crummy Commie-issued cleaning rod under the barrel of your M44 (hardly ever used, if at all!) was designed to clean the piece from the muzzle end with a muzzle cap to protect the all-important crown from contact with a steel rod. Could you get a plastic crown protector and use your too short rod to clean from the muzzle end with care?

Just a thought. With a barrel of only 20 inches I'm surprised the rod is too short! What kind of rifle did they make it for, I wonder?

Best of luck,
--d.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, by too short I assume you mean to pull the bolt and clean it from the breech end, which is greatly to be preferred, yes?
Yessir, absolutely.

What kind of rifle did they make it for, I wonder?
I'm guessing it's for one with a 16" to 18" barrel.

I did find a solution: I went to the other gunstore and was told that most people are using the boresnakes (which, in my opinion, are only good for a quick cleaning at the range). They therefore had a bunch of different ones on sale. For example, a complete Outter's cleaning kit for either a .22 or shotgun is $5! I found a "Kleen Bore Valu-Pak" universal cleaning rod set for $4.99. The rod comes in five pieces to be screwed together. Very compact lil' number when taken down!

Anyway, I decided that since it's black as well, it might screw into my Dewey handle (love my logic, don't'cha'? :) ) Lo and behold, a section did! Problem solved. The Dewey will now work in my .22 and my Mosin carbine! And, I have a backup rod to boot. I don't like that it's steel, but it looks to be nylon coated and I have the steel piece by the handle anyway, so it shouldn't contact the rifling.

It holds together well, but is not cross threaded. It's acting like a one piece, and it's seamless where it screws together. I don't feel I've lost much to the one piece, and the gains definitely outweigh the losses. Additionally, the other sections can be threaded together to clean an M91/30 when I eventually find one.

I'm happy, and doubly so since the fix was only $5!

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I generally use a pull thru myself. I saw a G3 cleaning kit for $5 at the show last week. It was complete and has the typical German aluminum beaded snake. Be careful to pull straight tho! You do not want to damage the muzzle. Boresnakes from Hoppes are better but they cost a few bucks more.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have a boresnake I use for my .36 calibers. They generally do not get the copper out as well as I like.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
OK, sounds good.

I use .30 cal boresnakes when I don't want to take apart a rifle, but clean the bore.
For deep cleaning, rods are the way to go. I find .36 cal Hoppe's boresnake to be very satisfactory for cleaning my revolver chambers and I'm gratified that it'll do for my spouse's Cowboy Action carbine and also a 9mm carbine too.

I'm sure you have heard this before, but many folks greatly prefer all steel rods. Apparently foreign material adheres to non-steel rods, they are not as strong, etc. the key is to be very careful that at no point does the rod contact the bore, most particularly at the muzzle end.

--d.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts