Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love .38 Spl revolvers. At last count I have over 20 of them and the last handgun I bought in Dec 2006 was a NIB nickleplated S&W Model 36 with a pinned barrel made in 1981.

Occasionaly I cull me collection of unwanted handguns or duplicates. I haven't done this for several years and as a result, my safe has reached the bursting point.

So yesterday I pulled three S&W K frame .38's out of the safe and took them to my favorite gundealer for consignment sale. Two Model 10's. Made in the 1970's, pinned barrels, two inch barrels. One is a square butt, the other a round butt. Both have the original numbered to the gun grips. Both would rate between 90 to 95 percent. The other Smith is an Airweight Model 12 two inch round butt made in 1961. It has the flat latch and the original diamond factory grips. I'd rate this one at 85 percent.

I've shot every one of these three K frame snubbies at least once. All are good shooters and give the kind of accuracy that one expects from a good M&P Smith.

But I really don't need them and that is what convinced me to put them up for consignment. I priced each at $250 with the dealer getting ten percent as his fee. I think that this is a very reasonable price for a good quality never abused K frame. Hopefully others will think so as well and used some of their tax refund dollars and buy them.

I just hope I don't get seller's remorse. In the past, I've broken up two gun collections of over 50 firearms each for reasons I never fully understood.

And so it goes.

Roadster

G

·
Old gun collector saying: Ya can't own'em all.

Be apprised that your quality, classic revolvers that you are putting up for adoption will be appreciated and treasured by the next owners.

There's no use having capital tied up in guns than you no longer need, when there's so many others out there waiting for you in used-gun-land.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I am very sympathetic towards your position and unfortunately many of us that are a little more "financially oppressed" have to settle for a good "house cleaning" from time to time, because it makes financial sense and also provides an opportunity to "own" other handguns.

Recently, I put two handguns up for consignment at my local dealer, because they were duplicates of what I already own/or they were handguns I simply wouldn't shoot.

Earlier on this forum, I wrote a thread that started "handguns for no good reason" and many of them do not stay in my collection long for the above reason.

I rarely get seller's remorse until much, much later when I realize that I actually want that Model/Style of handgun back and then wind up paying up to 30% to re aquire it years later. That has happened 2X to me and those revolvers are now on the "do not sell" list of handguns.

While on a consignment adventure a while back, I recently stopped by the local range/gunshop where I had the handguns on consignment, both had sold. Unfortunately, the owner of the range was there and asked me "how do you want to spend your investment?"

It took him less than 3 minutes to get SIGARMS on the phone and place a call to New Hampshire to get a CPO Grade 1 SIG P-226 ordered for me! I'll still have a tidy amount of cash coming back, but part of my "investment" has been spent on a handgun that I will shoot and enjoy quite a bit more.

With that in mind, I also price my consignments to "sell" and to make a decent profit while keeping them within market prices for the same firearms by comparing my "sell" prices to what is available on www.gunbroker.com and www.gunsamerica.com.

My wife believes it is simply a "hobby" for me as I am always toting guns in/out of the house.
(Funnier yet is when I bring guns in for repair for friends and appraisals!)

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Roadster,

I have never considered myself a collector, but for many years I did have the policy, I will not trade or sell any of mine, I will simply add more. More recently I had to take a really long hard look into my safe and ask myself when I had last shot several handguns and rifles. When I could not recall or feel I just had to take them out now to shoot them, I realized it was time to go on a firearms diet.

I have only regretted letting a couple go, but while they held some strong emotional connections with me, I also knew I simply would not shoot them anymore. Not because I had fallen out of love with their calibers. More so for recent medical issues that now force me to look at weapons more critically with - can I still shoot this one now? type issues.

I own many fewer weapons now, but all that I own or purchase now, I know will be fired often. One I really miss not having is a Smith K or L frame .357 mag revolver. If you had one of those you were selling, I would have already sent you a pm to discuss things, lol.

Again, I probably only own about 1/10 of what I once did now. But I shoot all of mine now consistently. So in that respect I do enjoy them all more too.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The Airweight won't last long at that price if the shop has any traffic at all from discerning buyers. The 10's are priced VERY reasonably for this area also.

If you can't see keeping them for their own sake then you prolly did good.

I have one I've never fired, thats close to 100% condition. It serves as an Example of the K frame airweight in case I need to measure something. (The frame dimensions are different from a regular K frame)

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If those two inch K frames sell as I expect them to, I'm gonna put at least two more S&W K frame .38 Spl's up for sale.

One is a Model 67 stainless Combat Masterpiece. It shows a bit of wear but is just fine mechanically. It is a straight 67 with no dash. I'm thinking $250. Another is a 1951 made five screw K-38 Masterpiece. Although a five screw, it has the short action that S&W had developed for target shooters in the years after WW Two. It's in decent shape and I'm thinking $350 for it. I like this old K-38, but I've got a nice Model 14-3 K-38 as well and I can let the older one go with little regret.

I'm tempted to sell off a pair of Model 27-2's. One is a 3.5 inch blue and the second is a five inch blue. But I will have to think really hard about these ones.

Roadster

·
Registered
932 Posts
Selling a gun that is readily replaceable has never really bothered me. Most AR-15's fit here, at least for now. Selling those old Smith and Colt revolvers is a terrible thing to do!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I really enjoyed this thread. I am preparing in a new reorganization to part with a S&W Model 66 (dash nothing) pinned barrel, rebated cylinders, red ramp/white outline, 4" SQ and was wondering what to ask. It appears that I may be able to ask 400 or so for it with out cheating anyone too badly. The trigger has been polished smooth and the grips are old Pachs of the period.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On last Thursday I went to the gunshop because the dealer had told me that two of my K frames had been sold. I decided to take two other of K frame .38's with me. The two mentioned in my last post in this thread.

I set the prices on the two guns and got paid for the two sold models. One of the M10 and the M12. Just a few minutes later a customer walked in and purchased the remaining M10 and the K-38 for cash. Turned about to be a good day for me cash wise. Another customer was seriously considering the M67. I'll find out next week if it has been sold.

Around here, there seems to be a demand for K frame Smiths regardless of model, caliber, or barrel length. So I'm gonna take a 1948 made pre Model 10 five screw long action .38 M&P and a 1961 made four screw Model 48 .22 Magnum six inch with me and put 'em up for sale. The Model 48 has a lot of holster wear and I bought it right some years ago. So I'm gonna put a price of $175 on it and see what happens.

Roadster

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roadster,
I sure would like to chat with you about those 27-2's should you decide to part with one or both of them. A M27 is next on my search list. Good luck!!

Regards,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello,

My wife believes it is simply a "hobby" for me as I am always toting guns in/out of the house.
(Funnier yet is when I bring guns in for repair for friends and appraisals!)

Chris
Chris,

Being another one of those guys who is always "financially challenged/oppressed," I've often sold/traded guns so I could acquire another one. The last time I did this my wife asked why I was always selling/trading guns. When I told her so that I could buy a new/another one, she replied, "Don't get rid of the ones you have, just buy the new one." Is she a keeper, or what?

Crash

1 - 13 of 13 Posts