Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... but I've got 'em!

I just traded off an old shotgun of mine, (not to mention the entirety of my gun budget for the next year) for nothing less than a brand new Springfield XD45!

I've been close to broke, so I never would have bought it, except for the fact that the local place ran ALL of their XDs on sale for just $500. There are times when you just have to bite the bullet... The big, .45 caliber bullet.

I can't shoot it 'til next week, though, and I'm in a FIT!!

Some things that surprised me:

Its feel is a dead-ringer for a Hi-Power fixed with the old, square-edged factory walnut stocks.

Its feed-ramp is similar to that of a standard 1911, with the bottom half being a part of the locking block, and the top half being part of the barrel.

The trigger is very light and smooth. It looks like the Croatians did their homework on this one!

There is NO play between the slide and the frame. It's about a hair's-breadth from being air-tight.

All of the controls are within easy reach of one hand in a standard firing grip, which is something I can't say for the G21.

I can't wait to shoot this one. I think I'm going to go CRAZY before next weekend.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of plastic. I like blued steel and wood. However, I found myself unable to let this slip by. I've been wanting a .45, and the concept of a gun with the same capacity as my Hi-Power that throws bullets that are literally twice the size was just too alluring to resist.

I guess I've converted to the dark side.

I promise that, in penetance, I will make sure that my next gun is a pre-lock J-frame, and the one after that will be another Hi-Power or a 1911.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad to see the discussion of the XD .45 ACP alive and well here. The XD is one of those guns that while popular isn't quite one of the big players compared to say the 1911 or the Glock.

You get the essence of the feel of a 1911 along with the ubiquitous grip safety, you get the operation, price point, and ruggedness of a Glock, and you get the simplified takedown of a Sig.

It's not my favorite handgun, but I feel it's my most useful handgun.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is absolutely terrible!!
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/> An old tried and true 1911 fan like me being led astray by such reports as these about a better .45!!
I guess I'm just gonna have to avoid reading anymore threads about the 45XD's before I give in to such "sin" myself and go buy one :-/
Next thing you know people will start posting pictures of their XD's with range reports and targets with the bullseye shot out.
Terrible! I can't stand it!
How can any of you faithful 1911 fans not be upset?? :'(
og...next thing I'll have dreams about it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, don't feel bad OG. If it makes you feel any better, as nice as the trigger is, it still doesn't stack up to ol' slabsides.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really wanted this gun because I felt like, given reliability (which I'm guessing it has) it was the best pure "tool" gun I could probably get.

I don't have the same sentiments towards it that i have towards the Hi-Power or 1911.

The feeling I get from it is less sentimental and more comforting. I know I've got loads of rounds, and loads of "power"-per-round.

It's no elegant piece of history, but it should be effective, and right now, that's what I want the most.

Maybe I'm just coming around to what other people have understood for years: It's nice to have a gun that you're not afraid to use. This one I can beat the tar out of, and never worry about for a moment.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm glad you understood the pun I made. So please keep posting reports on the XD. Who knows, maybe the Military will take a serious look at it. If they go for it I'll have to get one then just to be patriotic!!
og

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I wouldn't call it "better" inherently than any other .45 ACP self loading pistol, but rather "different".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, indeed!

Felt like a Hi-power with the old, squared-off factory stocks, didn't it?

As for whether or not the XD45 is "better" than any other gun; that depends on what you need a gun for.

If your a police department that can't afford a full-time armorer, and you need guns that one of your officers whom you've given that duty part-time can easily learn to work on, then a Glock is probably better.

If you're a highly-skilled marksman with rock-steady hands, then a 1911 is probably better.

If you need to carry a .45 in business-casual attire, then Kahr's tiny little .45 is probably your best bet.

If you're a private individual, though, and have average to above-average shooting skills, and often wear untucked button-down shirts or other good concealment garments, anyway, (like I do) I'd have to say that this is probably the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts