Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fascinated by the Browning High-Power Pistols since acquiring 1 for an Army Vet in 1956 or 57. It wasn't in great shape but it was usable. Sadly it was stolen a few years later. It wasn't until 1970 that I got a new BHP for about $75. Today, I am the proud owner of more than 2 dozen of the them. However, it took me about 40 years to acquire a Canadian Ingles and a Hungarian FEG.
I know the Ingles was an authorized copy due to wartime demands but I'm not as clear on the FEG copies. My Canadian gun is mechanically fine but is not a showpiece. My first FEG looks like it just came off the assembly line and is very nicely finished.
Acquisition of a Springfield SA-35 at or near MSRP has so far alluded me. I recently read a couple reviews on the Tisas BR9 which sounds like it would be a good addition. It seems to me that I've read about a couple other BHP copies, at least one of which was from a German gun maker. Who else has designed and marketed a clone of the BHP? Ed in West Central Florida.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been fascinated by the Browning High-Power Pistols since acquiring 1 for an Army Vet in 1956 or 57. It wasn't in great shape but it was usable. Sadly it was stolen a few years later. It wasn't until 1970 that I got a new BHP for about $75. Today, I am the proud owner of more than 2 dozen of the them. However, it took me about 40 years to acquire a Canadian Ingles and a Hungarian FEG.
I know the Ingles was an authorized copy due to wartime demands but I'm not as clear on the FEG copies. My Canadian gun is mechanically fine but is not a showpiece. My first FEG looks like it just came off the assembly line and is very nicely finished.
Acquisition of a Springfield SA-35 at or near MSRP has so far alluded me. I recently read a couple reviews on the Tisas BR9 which sounds like it would be a good addition. It seems to me that I've read about a couple other BHP copies, at least one of which was from a German gun maker. Who else has designed and marketed a clone of the BHP? Ed in West Central Florida.
The Inglis was indeed wartime production after FN fell to the Germans. Blueprints were slightly different plus there were issues converting the metric measurements to inches. Not all parts fit between both pistols.

FM of Argentina produced fine High Powers under license from FN. Arcus (Bulgaria) produced good but sturdier clones. Some of the Israeli pistols were from Arcus, others from FEG but assembled in the US.

The FEG pistols, it was recently learned, were produced under a secret contract during the cold war. The pistols marked Mauser (Germany) were produced by FEG. They also produced some pistols with FN markings, counterfeit pistols, which were purchased by Iraq as real High Powers. FEG made a bunch of extra cash on the deal. Iraq was none the wiser. You might run across a Charles Daily, which were also made by FEG and assembled here in the states.

I have an SA-35 and a Tisas BR9 (in stainless steel) as well as an FEG. The BR9 is, in my opinion, a much better pistol than the SA-35 ( even though the forgings for the SA-35 may have been made by Tisas), and superior to my FEG.

The Girsan MCP35 is probably next on my list. It is reported to be a better pistol than the SA-35 and they are offering several different models.

There was an American company (Florida?) which made a few BHPs in stainless steel, and they were very expensive. Another company in England, which makes high end shotguns, announced production of a BHP last year. I have heard nothing from them, but they may be available in the US, if they exist.

The Canadian Inglis machinery may exist in India where the Inglis patterned Ishapur is produced.

There may be a couple others... info is available at the High Power Collectors forum. This is where the recent FEG info was posted. It's a good but long read.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Inglis was indeed wartime production after FN fell to the Germans. Blueprints were slightly different plus there were issues converting the metric measurements to inches. Not all parts fit between both pistols.

FM of Argentina produced fine High Powers under license from FN. Arcus (Bulgaria) produced good but sturdier clones. Some of the Israeli pistols were from Arcus, others from FEG but assembled in the US.

The FEG pistols, it was recently learned, were produced under a secret contract during the cold war. The pistols marked Mauser (Germany) were produced by FEG. They also produced some pistols with FN markings, counterfeit pistols, which were purchased by Iraq as real High Powers. FEG made a bunch of extra cash on the deal. Iraq was none the wiser. You might run across a Charles Daily, which were also made by FEG and assembled here in the states.

I have an SA-35 and a Tisas BR9 (in stainless steel) as well as an FEG. The BR9 is, in my opinion, a much better pistol than the SA-35 ( even though the forgings for the SA-35 may have been made by Tisas), and superior to my FEG.

The Girsan MCP35 is probably next on my list. It is reported to be a better pistol than the SA-35 and they are offering several different models.

There was an American company (Florida?) which made a few BHPs in stainless steel, and they were very expensive. Another company in England, which makes high end shotguns, announced production of a BHP last year. I have heard nothing from them, but they may be available in the US, if they exist.

The Canadian Inglis machinery may exist in India where the Inglis patterned Ishapur is produced.

There may be a couple others... info is available at the High Power Collectors forum. This is where the recent FEG info was posted. It's a good but long read.

Cheers,

Tim
Thanks Tim for the very informative posting that refreshed my memory and expanded my dated information. I've collected books, booklets, pamphlets, on-line & published articles and even single sheets on the BHP, FNHP and others over the years. Your reply not only refreshed my memory but provided material I didn't know. The various Internet gun forums have been very useful for technical details as well as personal experiences of members on HP pistols. How long have you been interested in these guns?
Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts