Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was the sheriff's office I rotated my magazines every 30 days.
I recenlty sent an email to Kahr how often one should rotate magazines. They said you do not have to.
Now, I've been out of law enforcement for 14 years. I know things have improved a lot.

So, is it advisable to rotate magazines? If so how often?

I have also heard it's best to keep the spring compressed. Now I'm really curious about this.
What should be done?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Personally, I rotate magazines every 15 to 30 days. More if I've been shooting more. They say that loading and unloading is what causes wear in a magazine, but I feel better rotating my magazines. I also believe it's best to leave magazines stored uncompressed. I can't imagine how leaving magazines compressed could be any better.

Edit: For the record, I started rotating magazines, after leaving an 8-round 1911 magazine loaded for 2 months. Prior to leaving the magazine loaded, it had worked flawlessly. After the loading period, I went to the range and began to experience FTFs on the last round of the magazine. This bothered me, so I ditched the fault 8-rounder and switched to 7-round magazines and a rotating pattern.

-Rob

G

·
I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I suspect my Commander mag has been loaded for a few years. It is a CMC power mag and I just hope it works if and when I need it! I never changed my duty mags on the last job either. They were loaded with APD Hydra-shok duty ammo and the gun was loaded with GI Ball.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I rotate mine when I think of it; prolly every month or three. When I unload one it goes to the back of the mag pile for that piece to rest for a while.

I buy factory mags. I have enough of them that they can stay out of use at least half the time, if not more. I also load down by one round. Always.

Mags that have gotten mislaid for several years whilst loaded thusly have not suffered any loss of spring tension. (Mostly Grocks, tho more recently the Browning.)

One mag that _has_ lost tension came to me late in its life; I suspect it got loaded to the max and then crammed up against a closed slide for most of the 14 years or so before I got it. It came with the G21 that the previous user had mistreated badly.

I don't know the answer either, but I tend to be conservative about most things mechanical.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I don't think you can be too careful about guns and gun safety. We are not engineers and do not have a good way to tell about these things. I think whatever precautions you take are really good! I know many years ago I used to buy a dozen new magazine springs and install them in my CMC magazines. Wolff had a PLUS 5% that seemed to work very well back then. I have never had any magazine problems with those good old things ever, so it must have been a good thing.
They were in the trunk of Number 16 Cadillac when it was stolen three years ago and I now have new ones. I miss those old faithful babies thata served me so well that are now owned by Meth Head Junkies. They got my shootiing bag with my shot timer and all of my neat stuff. Then stuffed it up their nose, I guess.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When I was younger and more foolish, I used to change out my Glock mags every night! ::)

Now, I never do. The mags get loaded and unloaded when the gun goes to the range, and they sit loaded after cleaning until the next time the gun goes off.

I have been convinced by several (more than 3) engineers that compressing and uncompressing the mag springs causes the mag to wear out faster than simply leaving it loaded.

Not trying to proselytize, or anything, that's just what I do. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
In 1967 I bought a 9 mm T-series Browning HiPower with two spare magazines, and carried them on two flying cruises in Vietnam. Then I stuck them, still loaded with GI hardball in my sock drawer, where they sat for more than 30 years. Recently, I decided to take up range shooting again, and dragged them out of my sock drawer. All three magazines have worked flawlessly with any kind of ammunition I've tried. So I guess I belong with the group who believes that altering quickly between compressed and uncompressed magazine springs is what wears them out. Now that I am shooting again, maybe I'll find out.
Cordially, Jack

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I never have. I have one that I carry in my pistol, one that sits in the back of my mag carrier and one that sits in front. I'm kinda' obsessive when it comes to strange things like that.

I just replace the springs now and again and they are fine.

Josh <><

G

·
My experience has been it is not necessary. I have some Colt mags that have been loaded for over 50 years that still function without a hitch, in fact the original mag for my Colt pocket 32 has been loaded since about 1926 or so, works fine.

G

·
I do rotate magazines. In fact, I unload the mag and give it a rest for a week.

Back in the late 60s, I went through some U.S Military schools, we were told to keep a round less in mags to 'save'
the spring ( mostly .45's). This was common knowledge, and mentioned in Amphibian Training Base Little Creek, Va. and Imperial Beach San Diego, Cal. This has stayed with me all these years.

I never knew if this was 'official' or someone idea, but it always
sounded good to me. I do know fully loading a new mag for Glock 9x19 is impossible till the mag is broken in a bit. So there is some 'give' to the spring.

My experience with semi autos ended in the Military and started again six months ago. My background is S&W revolvers for hunting, so don't everyone jump on me at once :)

There was a similar post in another site. Some got a bit upset with my statement. Seems their mags never get weak.

Safety to All
Later
Bill-------------------------------------------------->

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm fussy about CLEAN magazines; but don't pay much attention to rotating, one round less & so forth. If I acquire a used gun with magazines (also used) I clean same & replace springs, often before even trying it out. If I rotate ammo (by shooting ) in a 'house pistol' the mags get checked for clean at the follower end & fully reloaded for the next 6 mos. or so.
Not very scientific, I know, but has worked for me in FN's, Sigs, S&W, H&K, Kahr. ;) Regards, G>N>F>

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
My experience has been it is not necessary. I have some Colt mags that have been loaded for over 50 years that still function without a hitch, in fact the original mag for my Colt pocket 32 has been loaded since about 1926 or so, works fine.
Soooo.... I take it your shells are beginning to corrode?

Josh <><

G

·
NO whippersnapper, the ammo gets rotated out.......................the barrel. That is called cycling the magazine. It still stays in service all the time. :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
1911 mags every 8 rounds, Browning mags every 13 (unless they are 15 round Mecgars)

Just kidding, I know what you mean. No I don't rotate duty mags. I loaded some and dated them once. left them loaded for several years and they were fine.

A friend, in the mid '70s fired a 1911 a client brought in that had been loaded since 1918. all 7 rounds discharged fine and it had no malfunctions.

I guess there are some brands that might not have good springs but and I dont really depend on cheap mags.

To be sure some of my mags (especially 8 round single stack) will get to the point they are iffy in locking the slide to the rear and my Glock 23 mags seem to be pretty weak for the last round but this happens in short order and does not change when they are "exercized".

Good luck!
Jim

G

·
Jim made an excellent point! Quality Magazines! How many times have smith's heard that a beautiful customized 1911 is having problems and it turns out to be those cheap gun show magazines? It is always a combination of gun, ammo, and magazine! If one factor is wrong, you are in deep trouble!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm in agreement with the Capt., again. Use not just decent magazines, but really good ones. So you spend thirty-five bucks on a WC stainless mag? What's your life worth, if you have to depend on the gun going off when you need it to? Sorry if I keep hammering Kimber, but when you spend 1100 to 1200 on one of their .45's, why do they supply one (just one!) stock seven-round mag? They offer higher-end magazines, so why don't they just give you a couple when they sell you the gun? I bought two WC eight-round magazines, and after a spell, I bought new springs for them, and then two more new magazines---and now I rotate
'em. It seems counterintuitive not to. One in the gun and one in the mag pouch (I load them down one round). And every other day I switch out magazines. Is this way too anal? I don't know. Mind you, these aren't high-caps. Maybe there's an issue with squeezing 17 nines into a Glock double-stack, or maybe I'm full of horse pucks. I do what works for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts