Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm wondering, with winter on us and all, how often you practice your draw while wearing your gloves.

First time I tried it the pistol slipped from my hand. Skateboard tape on the frontstrap cured that, but I still have a bit of a problem with the handling, no matter how I practice. The handgun ceases to be part of me as I'm used to and goes back to being a thing that I'm holding, if you take my meaning.

Additionally, I've found, while dry-firing the 1911, that some -- not all -- triggers grab the glove material. I also have problems getting inside the trigger guard on the 1911.

My Taurus doesn't have this problem as it has an elongated trigger guard.

So, if you have gloves on if the balloon goes up, are you ready?

Josh <><

·
Registered
898 Posts
No gloves for me, unless it hits -10F or so. That's what coat pockets are for! (Especially pockets with those disposable chemical handwarmers inside!) And when I do wear gloves, they're just the thin cotton work gloves, which give me no gunhandling difficulties.

Would like to find somebody who could make me some unlined leather gloves that actually fit right, apparently I don't have hands with "off the rack" proportions.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian,

I have the same problem with glove fit. I was talking to Chris (17 year old) yesterday about leather "like Anakin Skywalker wears - you know, the type that's skin tight and actually fits."

He did name a source. I'll have to ask him again. Seems they go for about $80 and I have to drive to someplace in OH to get them.

I'm going to check into this though.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Josh,

Almost never because it is relatively warm here in SC.

However, I have heard a number of complaints from Glock Packing LEO's that the trigger guard is too small to use with normal gloves.

Chris

·
Registered
525 Posts
Brian D.

For thin leather gloves, try looking in tack shops, especially those that cater to dressage/show jumping/fox hunt riders rather than, or in addition to, western riders.

I do not find many gloves off the shelf that fit either, but since I ride as well as shoot, I have discovered the best selection with gloves meant for horseback riding. I have rather short fingers for a guy, I guess, (one of the reasons I really have come to like my Hi Power), so I often find gloves that fit in ladies sizes, rather than men, and they usually don't look any different than the men's styles (except for the ones dyed pink instead of black - to each his own, but they just don't match my persona!).

elb

G

·
Shot the Oregon DPSST course a few weeks ago in 27deg (12deg with windchill) weather. Shot it once with gloves once without.

100% both times, but the group without gloves was 1/2 the size (fist) because I could feel the trigger reset on my glock.

I try to practice all year, and use the gloves I wear normally every day during the Winter. They are NorthFace Polartechs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Joshua, I have small hands also and have found that the plain womens sporting clays gloves work well. I use them to protect pistol from me in the summer mostly, hot and humid here, but have used them in the winter (?) here in Houston area. Leather palms and synthetic backs.
mikehp

·
Registered
392 Posts
in the winter months only.

when i was with OSHP, i used them sometimes during "riot training/civil disturbance training" which was in the spring and fall. and in n.e. ohio thats sometimes cold as all get out.

i wore only the wool military glove liners so i could still "feel" the trigger properly.

now i live in Bama so gloves are rarely a consideration.

G

·
When I lived in ND I wore mechanic's gloves all the time and never had a problem. I'll never practice with them again, because now I live somewhere that doesn't suck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts