Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How often do you Clean your Duty or Carry Gun, and to what Extent do you clean it?

Note: I assume Everyone cleans after Firing their piece, so let's just stick to how Often and to what Extent you clean your Duty or Carry Gun between firings.

Thanks For Your Replies,
The Sockman

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Range guns or what I've used (read shot) gets cleaned as soon as possible. Carry guns get cleaned once a week normally, and daily under abnormal conditions.

I "field strip" and clean only. With that, I do remove the grips about second or third cleaning. I don't detail strip anything unless it is for inspection or maintenance.

Why don't I detail strip everything? Because I've learned from experience just how loose a gun can get from repeatedly dismantling it. Anyone who has taken a Glock Armourers' Course or been in the military can tell you about looseness from repeatedly disassembling a weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sockman,

Weekly. I find too much lint and dust buildup for my taste. I am thinking of switching to a Kydex holster because this leather is old and I believe a lot of the dust I find is the leather starting to come apart.

Josh <><

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine get the works every 4 days, { we work 4 & 2}, I work on the Ports/waterfront so the salt water and air are a concern,, every other month I break down the mags and let the springs rest, more then likely it doesn't make a difference, but its just some thing I do.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I unload, rest and reload my carry mags about every other day, even if it's just for 5 minutes while I'm getting dressed.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I clean my guns (field-strip) anytime that they are shot, be that 5 shots or fifty. I detail strip about every thousand or 1500 shots. My carry guns are wiped off at the end of each day and dust, etc removed whenever it's seen. That's primarily on my pocket gun, an S&W Model 642.

Just before posting this I cleaned my S&W Model 64. I shot it a 150 to 200 rounds yesterday and 175 shots today. I cleaned it yesterday even knowing that it would be shot again today.

About the only times I've gone several hundred rounds between field-stripping and cleaning has been to test/check the gun's reliability. I usually can't stand it any more after 600 to 700 rnds and clean the things.

It is my belief that a gun's longevity can only be helped by proper cleaning and regular cleaning when the weapon is fired.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
It is my belief that a gun's longevity can only be helped by proper cleaning and regular cleaning when the weapon is fired.
Mr. Camp,

What about those firearms which have hardly been shot but are literally cleaned out? I think there was even a post about it here, 1911s or sumsuch.

Not being argumentative...

Josh <><

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

All my pistols get cleaned after use and checked about every 30 days.
My primary carrry piece is a Stainless Combat Commander...doesn't require much maintenance, but gets the same regimen.

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, Josh. I have heard about handguns that were "cleaned to death" but never seen one. That assumes that the user uses the cleaning rod properly and doesn't mix up his own solvents and such. I don't use stainless steel brushes. I have never seen a barrel ruined with regular brushes and patches.

Best.

G

·
I guess it depends on what you mean by "clean". I only use solvent when I'm cleaning after firing the weapon. About once a week, if I haven't shot, I will field strip and wipe the weapon down and re-lube.

Kent

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a carry gun, once a week field strip and dust off; light film patch through bore. After a range session, clean every time, as Mr. Camp suggests, paying particular attention to breech face, under the extractor hook, locking lug recess in slide. Mags I do less frequently, depending on amount of use, once a quarter, though I give em a quick toothbrushing on the follower and the first half inch below the feed lips to get the majority of the gunk out each range outing too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I clean carry guns once a week. Field strip, patch down the barrel to clean out lint, wipe it down, lube it, and reassemble. Then I rotate the magazines.

Every gun that is shot gets cleaned immediately.

I tried that "Wait until after a couple of range sessions to clean" thing...it just drove me bonkers thinking my gun was dirty.

It is my opinion that CLEAN guns malfunction less and that you simply cannot clean too often, if you do so within reason.

-Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow! You guys are a buncha cleaning demons! I know guys who have put thousands of rounds through guns without doing all that. A patch through the bore and a wipe with a silicon rag and they are good to go. I don't lean to that extreme, but I sure don't clean as much as you folks seem to. I have not seen any deterioration in function, accuracy, or overall condition. I will usually bore-snake them after shooting and wipe them down, like my friends do who never do a real cleaning job. Fairly often, I will field-strip and do the whole thing. Recently, I did a test with the AR. I shot 1000+ rounds through it over the course of a couple of months, with nothing more than making sure the bolt carrier was lubed, and snaked it a couple of times. No problems. But it sure was filthy when I finally broke down and gave it a good cleaning!

So I think you can go either way, within reason. BTW, I do not clean guns unless they have been shot, not even carry guns. Wipe off the lint and put 'em back in the holster once a week or so. In most environments that should be enough -- if I were working in highly dusty or salty environments, I would change that.

G

·
I clean my M16A2 every day, at least the bore, chamber, bolt carrier, and trigger group. I've been chastised for having dirt on my bayonet lug, or dust on my handguards - we're in Iraq there's dust *everywhere*. I don't go buckwild on the cleaning, I have a boresnake, and some CLP, my chamber brush on the t-handle, and the bottom half of a brown t-shirt. It takes about 4 minutes tops. Pop the recievers apart, hit the chamber real quick, pull the snake through, pop out the bolt carrier, wipe it down, a dab of oil, and that's that.

Back home, I wipe down my 1911's regularly. Sometimes I get bored, and wipe it down.

Anthony

·
Registered
47 Posts
Regular field strip cleaning and maintenance once a month. After every range session. Once a year detail strip and check everything for wear. Replace magazine springs once a year usually the week before annual Q's.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

After every shooting session for certain. For carry guns, at least once a month to check for accumulated dust, lint and ect.

Chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
Carry weapon gets cleaned after EVERY range session! Especially if I've shot my SP 101 which gets kinda black and disgusting after about 100 rds of practice FBI load

1 - 20 of 24 Posts