Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I carry two spare magazines for my Taurus. I have 45 rounds in all. I must stress that the magazines are there for mag backup in case of primary failure and not for the additional rounds.

If I carried a 1911 I'd carry two spare and be happy with the 21 rounds.

These guys disagree: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/623006/an/0/page/0#623006

Seems I stepped in it. All of a sudden I spray and pray and hit the little kid down the block and get sued and all that good stuff.

So... do you think I'm being excessive? I don't think I'd ever need that much ammo, but I might need the magazines if that makes sense.

So, what is your take? Are 45 rounds too many even given that I prefer full cap mags and carry them in case of damage? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
Josh, I lead towards the mentality of a single backup mag, and a backup gun with a spare reload. In my case that would be a grand total of 15 rounds of .45 ACP(7+1 in gun and spare 7-rounder). I don't currently have a BUG, but I'm leaning towards a Kel-Tec P32...so that would 18 rounds of .32(7+1 in gun and spare 10-round mag).

So, yes, I would say that 45 rounds might be a bit excessive. However, if you don't carry a BUG, then I see nothing wrong with packing the extra mag as extra insurance. If I packed only my 1911 I too would pack two spare mags.

-Rob

G

·
Well, I guess this is the time to say that I always look at the worst possible scenario. There is nothing worse than being in a situation and not having what you need.

Personally, I think a loaded mag in the gun, and one, maybe two loaded clips ready to good is enough. Perhaps a little extra "insurance" in a cozy spot nobody knows about but you. ;)

Consider this: You are coming home from workone night, late, after dark. You need to fuel up, so you roll into a gas station and the clerk is being pushed around by a guy with an Uzi type weapon. You can save the clerks bacon, but with all the clutter, and the perp moving around, you may need all the ammo you can lay your hands on to do it.

I don't think a couple of extra mags is excessive in that case. And you never know when a scene like this one can play out.

Pray for the ultimate best, prepare for the ultimate worst.

TJ.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Josh, toldja how I feel about this over at Shootersville, but will recap the high spots: When using a single stack I carry two spares because my shooting mentors always told me to. With doublestack autos, am happy with just one spare, but if I happen to spot the dual carrier first when gearing up, will fill both slots for the day.

All this is about having spare mags in case of a malfunction that need clearing, which may require dropping the primary mag. Now, can I find and retrieve it in the dark and/or pile of leaves or snowbank when the jam is gone?

With my seldom-toted five shot 9mm revolver, I carry tow or even three moon clips. That gun--in fact none of my carryworthy revolvers have ever gone "click" before they were empty, but who knows?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh yeah, almost forgot: You're not paranoid--unless you tell us you're gonna check your Birthday Cake for wires and a fuse today!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,

What are you talking about? Of course I'm going to look for wires and hidden fuses. My fiance's making it! Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Josh <><

G

·
Here's my question: Don't you trust your carry piece? I don't think we need to carry so many magazines and so much ammunition; we need to know that our gun is going to work.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chubbypigeon,

I trust my pistol as far as I trust any mechanical device.

I really don't like to toot my own horn, and I feel like I'm doing so here, so forgive me. I am certified in auto mechanics, computers, and will be a gunsmith if all goes as planned. If I look at a something mechanical, or electronic, it just makes sense to me.

Moving on...

With this experience comes the negative experiences of things breaking when one can least afford them to. I don't trust my firearm's primary magazine to function 100% in a bad situation - but only because it's mechanical. I want redundant systems. In this case, that would be spare mags. If I could change out a locking block, or a barrel, or a slide, in the middle of a fight, I'd find a way to squirrel those away on my person as well :)

Make sense?

I've had the suggestion made that I should get a revolver. I did - and first time out it locked up. The ejector rod came unscrewed and jammed the whole works. So... if it's a machine, I don't trust it.

Josh <><

·
Registered
198 Posts
Whatever others believe is what suits THEM. Do what your training, experience with your pistol, and logical/defensible scenarios dictate. I think I'd second what Brian D. said about single stack/2 spares, double stack/1 spare; seems reasonable.

I don't carry spare parts; don't need to =)

G

·
I'm not saying you should carry NO spares, but I do believe that two or more is excessive.

As a private citizen, I just can't carry as much stuff as a LEO on my belt. All I've got room for is a single spare.

My pockets are equally full of crap, because I'm of the "always be prepared" mindset. As such, If I carry a BUG, it gets no reload, unless I can squirrel one away somewhere REALLY unobtrusive, like a watch pocket.

That means that the situation, as far as malfunctions go, would have to go something like this:

Malfunction, tap rack and... click.... won't feed.

Time to change magazines (about four seconds gone, now)

New magazine... this one won't feed, either... go for the backup gun
(about eight seconds gone, now at a minimum)

Backup gun: malfunction

Total time elapsed after drawing backup gun is at least ten seconds, and probably closer to twelve. In a gunfight, this is an eternity. I'm probably WAY past the point where having an extra magazine to shove into that pocket rocket and try it one last time means ANYTHING. In fact, I was probably dead after the second magazine for the primary didn't work.

Assuming I'm still alive after ten seconds of fumbling with magazines, then why haven't I used this LENGTHY window of opportunity to book it?

That's just my logic, though. I'm not saying that we shouldn't prepare for every contingency, to within reason, but we need to have a good grasp of what reason is. If you run into a malfunction that a tap-rack-bang won't fix in a real gunfight, then you need one of two things at that point: a backup gun, or a miracle -- both wouldn't hurt.

Maybe we should spend less time practicing tactical reloads, and spend a bit more on New-York reloads!

G

·
No, Josh, you're not doing anything wrong. ;)

It's better to have it in a clinch than to run out and say "Oh, crud..."

Wes

G

·
I always cary two extra mags with full loads. Remember, "Buck Fever" is a genetic program that hits all of us. Training helps, but when the time comes to put training into practice, that is when "Buck Fever" hits. The extra rounds help when you get control again. If you train hard, you will be ready when the time comes to put the training into action. I just pray it never comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts