Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

How many rounds do you carry?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
How many rounds do you carry for self-defense purposes? I was thinking about this, and how I seem to carry different amounts with different guns, but how it sort of comes out the same.

With my revolvers, I generally carry one speedloader of premium JHPs, which gives me either 10 rds (J frame) or 12 rounds. I carry the extra rounds with a revolver because I recognize a possibility that, under stress, I may not shoot quite as accurately as on the range, and confronted with 3-4 assailants, would need more than 5 or 6 shots.

With my autos, I carry an extra mag. In this case, it is not so much for the extra rounds (I already have 15 with the HP, 13 with the Beretta 96, and 9 with the 1911), but because the most likely failure will be with the magazine itself.

But like I said, it sorta comes out to the same thing, as I have 9 rounds with the 1911 and 10 with the J-frame, 12 with the six-shooters and 13 with the Beretta. And that fits my original thought, that I might need a few more shots if the first ones don't get the desired affect.

If I need more than 10 with a revolver, I also have another speedloader with non-premium, non-JHP, target rounds -- such as 158 gr. round nose over 3.0 gr. Bullseye, for the J-frame -- which I really carry in case a chance to do some plinking just pops up. Same sort of thing with the .357 and the .44 spl. I don't expect to need more than the original load-out with the autos, but if I do, there is that other magazine.

I am just thinking out loud here. I wonder how you folks think about the same issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
I carry pretty much the same as you do, but my rationalizations might be different.

I carry one speed strip with my J frame 638, which is the weapon I carry probably 85% of the time. If I'm carrying an auto, I carry one full extra magazine; I very rarely deviate from these guidelines, UNLESS I happen to be on a roadtrip. If I'm going to be behind the wheel for any length of time, I'll carry a second gun, always a high cap auto, along with two extra magazines. I do this because the vehicle doesn't notice the extra weight of the extra magazine, and in a car I can get that gun into action faster than trying to draw from my person through clothing, seatbelt, etc.

I honestly don't worry about multiple assailants, as the area I'm in isn't prone to seeing depredations by gangs of armed thugs. It's virtually always going to be one thug that causes the problem, and I'm not going to make myself uncomfortable carrying extra weight to deal with a situation that won't happen. Besides, I've seen what happens to a gang when they find out that a weak, defenseless sheep suddenly grows teeth. :)

G
#5 ·
Nimbus you might as well carry a normal cap mag, it won't take up any more space. I always carry 2 spare magazines for a semi auto, so with a High Power that will give me 46 shots. On the rare occasion I carry a revolver, I take two speedloaders for the S&W Airweight, which gives me 15 rounds of .357Mag. It's been my personal experience you can never have enough ammo.

G
#7 ·
I carry two spare mags no matter the semi-auto. My normal carry gun is a 1911 but that is being surplanted by one of my HP's the older I get. On the rare occassion I carry a revolver, it comes with two speed loaders. WHen we are up in bear country my side arm is a Ruger Vaquero with some pretty hot 45 long colt rounds. Since there is no speed loader device for a gate loader, I have a holster with six loops for extras.

#9 ·
Gents,

My primary carry piece is my Stainless Commander. I generally carry condition one for a total of eight rounds. A second magazine is always carried. If going into a known bad area I carry a third magazine. My Surefire 6P and Spyderco Delica go along for the ride, as well.

Wes

#10 ·
When I eventually can carry it will be like this: Double Stack 9mm will be 15+1 in gun and spare 15 round mag. Single Stack 1911 7+1 in gun and two spare 8 round mags.

The reason for the 7-rounder in the gun is to aid in concealment and I've had 100% function out of 7-round magazines. When I finally carry the 1911, the 8-rounders will have to be 100% as well, then it's just the concealment issue.

All of this will be backed by a Surefire G2 light and a basic Utilihak.

-Rob

#12 ·
I usually carry a 1911 (45ACP), but sometimes carry a HiPower (9mm) or HK P7M8 (9mm).

With the 1911, I keep an 8-rd mag in the gun and two in a Horseshoe Leather belt pouch. I have carried a third spare magazine in my right front pocket.
That's generally a total of nine in the gun and 16 extra, for 25 rounds.

With the HiPower, it's one 13-rd mag in the gun and one or two 13-rd mags on the belt.
Total: 14 in the gun and 13 or 26 on the belt, for 27 or 40 total.

With the HK P7, I have an 8-rd mag in the gun, and two on the belt or in an in-the-pocket mag pouch.
Total: Nine in gun and 16 on belt or pocket, for 25 rounds total.

Whichever one it is, I also have a Kahr P9 Covert (9mm).
I have seven in the gun, and one spare seven-rd magazine for 14 total.

I have carried a third gun some- a J-frame S&W, which used to be my second gun before the Kahr arrived.
Five in the gun, six in a Bianchi speed strip, for 11 total.

That's more than most carry, but I look at it like this:
1) My wife never carrys any spares, so I'm carrying for two.
2) If I have a malfunction, it's probably magazine related, so that's one mag down.
3) If I have to shoot at all, I want to "top off" afterwards, so there's another.
4) I imagine that if I have to handle any magazines, I'll be a dope and drop at least one. Odds are it will land outside of cover too. Scratch one more mag at least.

Maybe I should carry more? Milt Sparks used to make a six-mag carrier......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.