Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay for those that CCW what do you carry and how many magazines/number of rounds to you carry.

I have a 1911 that is going to be my ccw gun and loaded in the gun I have 8 +1 then 2 - 8 round mags in a canvas mag pouch that is normally in my pocket. Thinking of simply keeping one extra magazine and leave other one in car.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I normally carry one reload. Mag, speedloader or speed strip.

Usually have an extra or two in the car or briefcase.

But understand, I'm not going into situations that are likely to turn sour.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I carry two extra magazines, whether I'm carrrying a 1911, HiPower, or P7.

I also carry a spare for my Kahr, and a Speed Strip for my J-frame.

I do it because I have no possible way of knowing what situation will arise.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

I generally carry two magazines when packing my 1911(s). If going to the "big city" another one or two are added. Same if I'm carrying a high cap semi-auto.

Wes
(oneguntwomagazinesandaknife)

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I carry two spare mags for the 9mm regardless. This will go for any "major caliber" pistols I might aquire, including a 1911.

The reason for this is that I do not believe I'll have to reload, just shoot and retreat. However, I'll be retreating to cover. A tac reload would be nice but may not be realistic.

What is more realistic is having a cataclysmic jam, having to rip the magazine out of the gun, bending the feed lips, which lets live rounds spray all over the place. The magazine is now ususable and you now have a single shot weapon. I'd like to have a magazine to replace the blown one, and a magazine to backup the spare.

That's my logic! :)

Josh <><

·
Registered
525 Posts
I carry one extra mag for my Hi Power for sure, primarily to deal with any malfunction. I usually carry a second extra mag because I usually can. Better too much ammo than too little.

I am convinced that if shooting is necessary, several well aimed shots is prudent. I would hope a confrontation with one hostile could be taken care of with fewer than the 13 + 1 in my Hi Power, but for more than one, I would like some "margin of error".

elb

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

When I am in off-duty mode, I carry my primary with a minimum of two spare magazines, along with my back-up on my ankle.

I have been carrying at least two spare mags for so long now, it is simply second nature to me really. I also simply hold the view, if you are going to carry one spare mag, why not simply carry two.

As another of our members wisely pointed out in a response once, mags can become damaged due to exertions necessary in a self-defense situation, or simply because Mr. Murphy decides he wants to join in things as well. If you only have one spare magazine, and movements, dropping it in the heat of things, etc. - if it becomes unusable, what will you do then? That is a real advantage to having the second spare to me.

It is also a great reason to have a back-up weapon if at all possible as well.

Just my thoughts, and I hope they may help you in deciding what works best for you sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
194 Posts
Semi-auto: one spare mag. Revolver: one speedloader. For the auto, it is because the most likely mechanical failure would involve the mag, and I want another handy. For the revolver, it is because I would not want to need more than six shots and not have them on me. I generally carry a pocket rocket for back-up as well. Other mechanical failures do happen, even with revolvers. I had my Model 24 lock up on me at the range one time. Not sure why, but a good cleaning fixed it and it has never happened since. Still ...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I pretty much exclusively carry revolvers. So, my choice is a speedloader when carrying my 4" M64-5, or a speed strip when carrying my 2" Colt Agent.

When I think the going might get tough (very rarely), I will both handguns and a reload (Speed loader for K-Frame, Speed strip for D-Frame). If I can't get out of a pinch with a New York reload and twelve more after that, I'm in real trouble!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It depends on what "magazine" and "extra" mean (not trying to be the wise guy here).

I carry two spare magazines in a belt pouch but I also have a 3rd one that rests in my 2nd gun (most of the time - sometimes it is a different caliber or type altogether).

And if one were to count the cylinder of my J-frame then I always have one of those (even though it is probably not truly a "magazine" in the strictest sense) and many times have another J-frame (plus 6 extra rounds for those).

lately I have been trying out the "Betterholster" hip pocket double magainze pouch (it is not for quick access but for storing some extras to replace the ones on your belt if you get a "lull"). That makes two more but, some pants pockets are just too tight for it and I leave it off.

It is very comfortable while driving though in 5.11 pants - which was a surprise.

By no means to I claim the above system is necessary. I just kind of gravitated that way.

Jim H.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I carry at least one spare magazine as I have been trained to or a spare reload for my revolver.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I do appreciate that I may be a little odd about spare rounds, but I learned the hard way in my first shooting. Since that day, I have taken the position it is better to be ammo rich, than ammo poor.

My first post explained my system in off-duty mode. At work some co-workers will ask what war I am equipped for. My tactical gun belt has 9 spare magazines for my primary handgun. My tactical vest holds 3 more handgun mags, along with 6 spare 30 round mags for my CAR rifle. More times than not, the CAR is in my hand (unless walking down a city street or some such), and it holds two 30 rd mags clamped together.

While it may well sound excessive to many folks, it simply works for me. I have been in more than one situation where I have needed to throw spare handgun or rifle mags at a coworker to resupply them. My odds of going home are simply improved in my mind if they are able to stay in the fight longer.

But again, when off-duty, my choice is a minimum of two spare pistol mags, along with my back up on my ankle. I keep spare loaded mags in my vehicle, but simply accept the fact if they are not on my person, I may well not have them when I need them the most.

The trick if to find a system to fits your personal comfort level, and practice with it until it becomes very natural. Then continue to practice with it to maintain that proficiency.

Shoot well and shoot often.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Twoguns and all,

That's it! So I turned to my "A" gunner and said; "link me up 1,000 rounds... ;)

That should end the firepower/magazine/ammo debate...

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Wes,

Well for sure, I want to be on your side of things, and not the intended target (grinning, tips my hat).

twoguns

1 - 16 of 16 Posts