Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lingo of specialized fields is often confusing to newcomers, and even though I have been interested in firearms and their use for many years, I still happen upon terminology used in forums that I don't understand.

A lexicon of firearms-related acronyms (for example, BUG for back-up gun) would be most useful. Perhaps some of the more experienced members could put one together? or simply continue this thread with terms and definitions. I know I would learn from these contributions. Thanks. --c

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. It might be a good idea.

BUG: backup gun

ACP: Automatic Colt Pistol

"hawg leg": single-action revolver such as Colt Peacemaker

9mm Luger: Same thing as 9x19mm, 9mm Parabellum, when used in reference to ammunition

Coke Bottles: Large target grips made by S&W that from the rear resembled the profile of a coca cola bottle. These were made up until the '50s or '60s (not sure) before they were replaced with the standard large target grips that did not have this profile.

"45 automatic": Used to refer only to the Colt-made 1911 pattern guns as it was about the only one. Now it can refer to many, but if reading older stories or articles, it is referring to the Browning 1911 design.

Meplat: The very nose of the bullet. When the meplat is mentioned, it is usually in reference to a bullet having a small flat on its "nose."

FN: Fabrique Nationale, the Belgian factory at which all "Browning Hi Powers" start life as well as some other famous arms such as the Browning 1910 pistols, and the FAL rifle.

Reset: How far the trigger must be released on a semiautomatic pistol to that the gun is capable of being fired again after a shot has been fired. 1911 pattern pistols are famous for their short reset requirements.

Others will have more to add I hope.

Best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
JHP is Jacketed Hollow Point
LSWCHP is Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point
SP is Soft Point
"Ball" is Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) ammo

Also, with frequency, a reference made to ".38" is referring to .38 S&W Special. A reference to ".32" is referring to .32 ACP. This is not always the case, .38 could be referring to .38 S&W or .32 could be referring to .32 Long, or .32 H&R Magnum.

-Rob

·
Registered
720 Posts
oh joy! you saved some for me...

POA is point of aim where you center your sights on the target

POI is point of impact where your bullet hits the target (usually not POI for me!)

and then there is the POS which is a "bad" word
that we try not to use on this site. So just don't use it referring to a gun or ammo.

Thanks,
og

·
Registered
502 Posts
This one had me for a while: FLGR - Full Length Guide Rod as used in 1911 pistols, for instance. FTF-failure to fire ( or failure to feed). FTE - failure to eject. Beer Can Sight- Early Hi Power adjustable rear sight that looked like a can on its side w/ adjustment screws on right & left. BHP - Duuh, you already know what that means?
Lots more out there! ;) Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
218 Posts
A couple you see infrequently, but are out there: SWAG - Scientific Wild Ass Guess, and WAG - Wild Ass Guess.

Bert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts