Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For the second time I can remember in seven years of carrying, the safety on my Taurus 92 was flipped off while in the holster.

My holster is a DeSantis belt scabbard with a thumb-break/safety strap going between the hammer and firing pin. I prefer this and it doesn't slow my draw any. The way it covers the trigger and blocks the hammer gives me warm fuzzies as well.

What do you prefer and why? If you specify "other," please tell us what it is. With regard to the level III retention, let's not go into the way these things work.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Josh,

All my belt holsters are open top.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
649 Posts
Open top. Something along the line of a Fobus, Bladetech IWB, or a Galco Matrix. That's what I got. Although I have a Fobus Safety Button Paddle that I use in IPSC...it's fast..

G

·
All my holsters are open, no thumb strap.

I work plain clothes, ala jeans & t-shirt. Jump fences, crawl thru brush & barbed wire etc, have not had a problem.

I use leather, Sparks 55BN, Davis Liberty, and just got sent a HF1 by Tucker leather to use and test out. So far it looks like a keeper.

G

·
Joshua and all,

My carry holsters are all open top with the exception of my Galco Miami Classic, which needs the thumb break for retention.
My preference is Blade-Tech for kydex and Milt Sparks and Horseshoe Leather Products for serious carry leather.

Field/hunting holsters have retention devices, flap, strap, you name it.

G

·
all my belt holsters have thumb straps (Bianchi AccuMold holsters)..my pocket holster for my Colt agent is the only exception

·
Registered
51 Posts
Depends on the weapon,

My primary holster has a thumbreak since I carry a Browning HP cocked and locked. I like the leather between the hammer and firing pin.

My carry holsters for my Glock and S&W revolver are open topped.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brian,

"My holster is a DeSantis belt scabbard with a thumb-break/safety strap going between the hammer and firing pin. I prefer this and it doesn't slow my draw any. The way it covers the trigger and blocks the hammer gives me warm fuzzies as well."

Josh <><

G

·
I have a Galco ASA2 open top and a Blackhawk Carbon Fiber Serpa level 2 seems to be just fine. Don't do much running or climbing any more guess just gettin to old. LOL Be safe out there

·
Registered
194 Posts
My daily carry holsters are all open-top, such as the Galco Concealable, or Bob Mernickle's PS6-DA. For field carry, I like El Paso Saddlery's Tom Threepersons, with a strap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The majority of my holsters are open top, like El Paso's Street Combat model. The only thing I have with straps are my shoulder holsters.
I prefer to rely on tensioning devices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts