Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a 100% Browning Hi-Power nut and have owned (2) in .40 and (3) in 9MM over the years.
After a financial meltdown I ended up selling all of them and regreted it deeply.
Recently I have been able to rebuild my collection but seeing used Hi-Powers selling for what I used to pay for them new got me to try out another handgun I had always wondered about......

I picked up a CZ 75B .40 and immediately liked the way it fit my hand and the lines reminded me of the Hi-Powers I used to own.
The total for the CZ 75B .40 cost me at least $230 less than a Hi-Power would have cost and thats new with extra 12-round magazines and nice custom wood grips.
Firing the CZ I noticed the muzzle flip was less and to make things even better it shot (WAY) tighter groups than any of the Hi-Powers I had owned even better than the 9mm's.
Fast forward after a few thousand rounds later and still 100% reliable and the trigger has improved to the point that it is comparable to the Hi-Powers of old.

Recently I decided I needed to get a 9mm and have fought the battle on what I was going to get.
Today I made up my mind and decided on a CZ 75B Stainless Steel model.
The gun comes with 2 16-round mags and has ambidextrious safety for $200 less than I would have paid for a Hi-Power new.

I never thought I would like anything other than Hi-Powers but after trying a CZ I am sold on them like I was on the Brownings years ago.
Like many others here I used to snub anything but real Hi-Powers but cannot ignore the results and reliability these CZ pistols afford at hundreds of dollars less hit to my wallet.

Before CZ's get even more popular I advise trying one out for yourself or else down the road they may get as pricey as Hi-Powers are now.

This was not meant as a bashing of Hi-Powers because I do know they are a great pistol........More of a little heads up from a former Hi-Power nut that can relate and that has learned there actually is an equal or possibly better alternative.
Best,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and welcome. You will find several CZ fans here.........including myself.

I own and shoot both Hi Powers and CZ's and while my personal favorite between the two remains the Hi Power, others here have "converted" to the CZ. I have had good luck with both.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. theknack,

First welcome to the site sir. I think you will find a tons of members here with some great knowledge on weapons, ammo and related topics they willingly share with each other. We look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as well.

Second, there is not need to apologize for liking the CZ-75 line of pistols. We welcome all of us suffering from our addictions, regardless of the particular brand. You will find a lot of members who think highly of the 1911 and HP pistols, and at the same time hold other brands in high regard as well.

My situation is sort of similar to yours, except mine stems from a grip I learned two decades ago in a gun school. When I pulled one of my HPs out of my safe a few years ago, wanting to get comfortable with it again to carry when I retired, I discovered my grip caused me to lock the slide release lever up during each magazine. So my HP will always just have to be a fun gun for me now.

I too discovered the CZ-75B pistols, and got my first one in 40 too. I was pleasantly surprised to discover my grip was not an issue with the CZ and yes sir, I agree, it does remind me a great deal of the things I like in a HP. I am in the process of getting a SP-01 from my CZ smith when he finished his magic on it, and will be acquiring another very nice CZ-75B in 40 shortly from a friend.

I am also a major fan of the Sig line of pistols, as well as Smith revolvers, Colt SAAs, and assorted long guns and shotguns. So all addictions are truly welcomed here sir.

I also agree with you when the secret of the CZ-75Bs become better known the prices will jump up accordingly.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome Mr.Theknack. There's a good bunch here who enjoy swaping information about all kinds of firearms. I myself am looking real hard at the CZ line and your report has helped. Enjoy the forum.

Best, Baldy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the nice welcome from all of you......Was kinda worried I may get flogged for my opinions of anything other than a Hi-Power on a Hi-Power board.
Just wanted to get the word out that many may find the same benefits I have in a great pistol while saving a nice wad of cash while doing it.
If at all possible if you have a range that rents them try them out before you make the plunge but I doubt you will be sorry.
The prices on CZ's has been steadily going up and I would hate to say later to anyone that could afford one now that I told you so.
Someday I may get another Hi-Power to add to the collection but as it stands now I can basically almost have two CZ's for the price of one Hi-Power.
Who wouldn't rather get two rather than one? Or four rather than two and ect.?
If I honestly thought the Hi-Power was twice as good as a CZ we would not be having this discussion.........At least I am making a comment from having been on both sides of the glass rather than just babbling out loud without knowing what I am talking about.LOL

Thanks again for the surprisingly upbeat comments and the welcome aboard.
You are true gentlemen.
Best,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello & Welcome Aboard,

If I was forced to carry something beside's a BHP or 1911, it would be a CZ 75 SA-Single Action Only Model.

Take Care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way competitive shooters are discovering the CZ line has led to an increase of aftermarket support for the pistol that has nearly dried up on the Hipower. The CZ 75 , and EEA witness are usually on the top of my list when making a reccomendation to a new shooter. Alot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Spikey614,

Just my opinion and suggestion sir - I would go with the CZ and never look back. From what I have read and heard the AR24 is basically new, reasonably untested, and borrows a lot from the CZ. To me I would rather go with the original rather than the copy.

But again, just my thoughts, and others may differ which is fine. When you get either, please give us a range report.

twoguns

·
Registered
645 Posts
theknack,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya!!! I too am looking for another 9mm and I have narrowed it down to either a CZ75 BD or a CZ75 P01 and at the moment leaning toward the P01. I have now shot the FN BHP, Beretta 92FS and M9, Sig 239 and the CZ75 BD and P01. I have considered fit, feel, ergonomics, handling, accuracy and price. I was very impressed with the CZ's in categories, and like I said am leaning toward the CZ75 P01. All the above named pistols are excellent pistols but for me the CZ's fit all my criteria. Just my $0.02 worth.

papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know my wife was looking real close at the RAMI model for carry. I been waiting to spring the trap. If she would get the RAMI why can't I have the CZ75 I been wanting? Oh the evil mind has taken me over I know. It may happen yet. We shall see.

Best Baldy.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Gib,

Nice picture, but it exceeds our photo size limits of 640x480. Please resize it or we'll have to remove it.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Baldy,

I would not call it the "evil mind" at all, just proper planning.

Good luck and hope it works out.

When you get one or both, please share your thoughts with us sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

For the current CZ-75B owners or potential ones, if you are looking for a source of what I feel are well made barrels in 357 Sig or 9mm down/conversion check the pistol smith room for a post I made there. EFK Fire Dragon tells me they expect to have both barrels for the 75B available in mid June.

This might be a bit more motivation to take a look at the CZ-75B for some of us afflicted with CZitis.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Gib,

He has had my requested work done on my 75B in 40, and has fitted my Kadet Kit for me, and they have both been done for about 3 months now. He agreed to pull an SP-01 he had in inventory and do the same requested work on it. Once he has finished that, I will drive up, meet him, do the paperwork, pay him for everything, and head back to the house, then the range.

We also agreed he would keep everything, because he was going to confirm the opposite slide units fit the opposite frames well too. That will let me turn the SP-01 into either a 40 or 357 Sig, and have the tactical rail. It will still give me a 75B in 9mm as well. So he kept everything to make certain they will mate perfectly.

I sent him an email a couple of days ago asking for a status update on the SP-01. When home he has always responded to my emails very promptly. Since I have not heard from him yet, I guess he must be away at a match shooting.

I will add a post here once I have had the chance to shoot my pistols that he has worked his magic on. Hopefully very soon, as I have already been in CZ withdrawal for far too long, lol.

twoguns

·
Registered
160 Posts
There's more than one great gun out there and being in the club doesn't have to be exclusive. Many HP fans are fans of the CZ's too. Heck, what's not to like.

Welcome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts