Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas! ;)...I'm new to the board, and have a question:

Is anyone familiar with any current European Law Enforcement agencies using the Hi-Power as a standard duty weapon? Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Man, I don't know! Things have changed so much since I kept up with this stuff. I met with some SAS guys
at a SWAT conference years ago and they were using Hi Powers at that time, but they're not really law enforcement.

Abninftr will probably know the answer to this. I do know that he's covered up with much this week but eventually he'll see this thread and perhaps enlighten us all.

A friend from S. Africa advised that the BHP was still quite popular there but I didn't think to ask if police were using them.

Best.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Just off the top of my head, I believe Belgium still uses the BHP for military and law enforcement. Germany has gone to mostly SIGs and H&Ks - each state chooses what it issues. Austria uses Glocks. Most British law enforcement issue is now Glocks, except N.I. which still uses a lot of Rugers (or did). I have no idea what the Dutch or Danes are using these days. France is still using domesticly made guns.

Until about twenty, the most popular calibre for European law enforcement was the .32 ACP. 9 mm came in just as SIG, H&K, & Glock were just kicking off in a big way. Needless to say, new calibre, new toy.

An aside, I once was told by a Czech LEO that they preferred the .32 because, "with it I can shoot rapist in back of head without hurting lady."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: 32 - "...with it I can shoot rapist in back of head without hurting lady."

I believe that I'll just sit here and savor that line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the feedback...especially you abninftr.
Another aside!...The Croatian National Police use the Glock, while the military carries the home grown HS2000.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
One of the reasons the Glock is in service the new republics formed from what was formerly Yugoslavia (or Jugoslavia depending on where you went to school) is that the majority of the UN supplied LE trainers come from US police departments and LE agencies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the reasons the Glock is in service the new republics formed from what was formerly Yugoslavia (or Jugoslavia depending on where you went to school) is that the majority of the UN supplied LE trainers come from US police departments and LE agencies.
That is indeed true. My friend (police chief on the island of KOR, Croatia), told me of the American law enforcement officers that ran the firarms training programs after the war.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been conversing with a police inspector in Ottignies, and the BHP is what they're carrying. Just traded patches with him.

BELGIUM NATIONAL POLICE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IIRC before the Walther we used the FN 1910/22 not the HiP (police). The army DID use HiP I guess but I strongly advise AGAINST buying ex-army HiPo from here: not because they've shot much (maybe 3 times a year)but many are worn anyway because of EXCESSIVE cleaning (every week or so even when no shots were fired!?)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Yana,

I've recently read in Beretta's Owners Manual for the 21 A Bobcat that excessive disassembly and cleaning leads to more firearms wear than the actual shooting of the firearm.

I suppose there is something to be said for that statement by a major firearms manufacturer.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The BHP was issued by the police special task force, but recently I have seen they are using HK USP's, I think they can still use the BHP if they feel like it.
The police special task force is more than SWAT, its the primary hostage rescue unit etc, but they do all sorts of paramilitary ops as well. These can be from anti poaching to drug and weapons smuggling enforcement.
Personal weapons in training are USP, Uzi, R5 , FN Para FAL, RPG, MRL, and thats each guy!

The military reconnaissance operators use the BHP, some with light mounts, sights and ambi safeties.
I'm getting a T series from the gunsmith that does a lot of work with them, done in the same manner.

Last time I was in Namibia the police at the airport were armed with BHP's.

Zimbabwe issues the CZ-75, Mozambique is the Makarov.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts