·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for the FYI Chris!!!
Your gotta be right, they would have to be a handful. We don't have to many bears here in W. Kentucky (except for me and mine here at ole KY Jelly Stone) but I have a son in Idaho and a very close friend in Wyoming and I visit them as much as I can.

PapaBear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there papabear,

I saw a black bear on the golf course where I work last week chasing golf balls!

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them around here, but they are "off limits" for shooting and besides, if they get an occasional golfer--it just adds excitment to the game!

I think the concept of the S&W survival kit is an interesting one for those traveling to Alaska for Salmon fishing and other environs where the Brown and Grizzly reign.

Chris

G

·
Can't be purchased at this time, but when it does become available, you can get a neat camo holster to go with the bright orange grips. The marketing boys are right on top of this one.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Chris,

Who gets to add strokes to their handicaps, the bears or the golfer's? I agree with ya' though, the S&W survival kit is interesting, but for me, if I'm in the realm of the Brown or Grizzly, the weapon of choice for me would be a 12 ga 3" mag shotgun, those guys don't just go looking for pic-a-nick baskets. Besides, unless they have changed the laws in Alaska since I was there, you can't bring a handgun into Alaska. I know I couldn't when I was last up there, but that was a few years ago. Maybe someone could enlighten us on the matter.

Papabear

G

·
Hi there papabear,

I saw a black bear on the golf course where I work last week chasing golf balls!

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them around here, but they are "off limits" for shooting and besides, if they get an occasional golfer--it just adds excitment to the game!
I ran into one about 40' away in my work up at the lake (Tahoe) a few weeks ago. I saw him before the saw me and, since I had the element of suprise, I thought I'd better use it: I yelled at him and he took off. There's lots of'em up there and I figured I'd see one sooner or later ---- but not that close. Without a gun, I felt naked.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alan,

I have had several bear "encounters" in my life, but most of them were met in awe by their shear size and agility beginning with my first in the '70's while hiking along the Appalachian Trail as a teenager. The bear walked up upon us while a companion and I were cooking dinner and was rummaging through a garbage pit. We didn't even notice him until we heard him poking through cans.

In the wild, I have never felt like I needed to be protected from them, but rather have alway's enjoyed them from a distance. Kind of like mutual respect. I have read many, many stories from Outdoor Life about bear attacks in Alaska and they all seem "unprovoked".

As I get older, I sense that our interaction with these large canivorore's is not alway's going to be a positive experience and they begin to rely on humans as a food source via developement and habitat encroachment.

My fear on the Golf Course is that our guests will take to feeding these large beasts and when someone decides that they are not going to give them a handout--the bear will attack them. One of my beverage cart girls told me a story about being chased one day by a bear down the cart path on her cart.

I don't think the PGA handbook covers lost strokes due to wildlife. If it were me, I would wait for the bear to leave and lose the stroke!

S&W has a great idea for the fisherman who is in the water with both hands on tackle when the bear comes along and carrying a rifle is out of the question. Unfortunately and if the time comes, "will it still be enough gun?" I agree with papabear, I would rather have a 3" magnum 12 gauge loaded with slugs!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts