Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 5904 as to carry , a kel-tec p11 as backup and a Marlin camp9 rifle for a little more reach. Now the ???? should I replace them but with what? They are all the same cal. 9mm use the same mags don't have 2 or 3 deiffer cal. or mags to get? ???

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You should do whatever makes you happy, and none of us can really tell you what that would be. There's certainly no reason that you need to replace them: they're all perfectly adequate guns.

Best of luck with it. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well Remo I agree with Erich 100%. Why get rid of them if they are doing the job for you? The S&W 5904 is a good pistol and the Marlin C9 is a good little rifle for varmits. I have a Kel-Tec .3AT in my pocket as I type and I like it. I may add to them but I wouldn't get rid of any of them. Good luck.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My brother has practically the same setup (due to limited funds), and I think it is an excellent combination. I might add to your guns if I were you (a .22 and a shotgun, for example), but not replace any of them.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Remo,

Like others have said, to me it does not seem to be broken for you. So why worry about fixing it? In the old west days both the good and bad guys saw a lot of advantages to carrying revolvers and rifles that chambered the same round. It certainly worked well for them. I enjoy several SAA clones and a lever rifle all chambered in 45 Colt, and can appreciate why they liked that setup so much. I can load both from either my gunbelt or bandolere, and then fill them both witht the same round.

Even today on duty I tend to carry two full sized pistols, along with a back up on my ankle. My two full sized are always the same caliber and same make/model, so they will both function with the same magazine. There is still an awful lot of logic to me with that arrangement.

Since I am one of those folks who believe there is simply no one magic bullet, I feel that shot placement is far more important than the caliber (at least starting from say 9mm on up anyway). With a well placed round or rounds, I doubt seriously if the bad guy would care what caliber they had been hit with.

Your system certainly makes sense to me. As was suggested, at some point you might want to add to it, but I see no reason to change it.

twoguns

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would add a .30-30 myself. Handy,little carbines out to about 200+/- yards.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Remo,

Looks like you're pretty well covered in pistol calibers. Personally, I would vote for the .30/.30 Winchester in a Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin 336. Fast handling and there are no flies on the .30/.30 as a hunting cartridge. Tactically, it's not a .308 Winch, but it's not far behind. That cartridge has probably put more game on the table than any other. It was, and is, bad ju-ju on the recieving end. Jeff Cooper opined that the .30/.30 lever action was actually a "scout" rifle of sorts...he was right. If you want to stick with military calibers go .223 or .308 in a decent bolt gun and don't look back.
For the enscounced defender the 870 would be good.
Lot's of choices. Even for those on a budget.

Wes

·
Registered
932 Posts
Remo, I like the combo you have. Instead of breaking it up, adding to it to broaden your abilities might do well. As suggested, a good shotgun would be a good addition, perhaps a good bolt action rifle a second. If money allows, a higher magazine capacity rifle with more power would be nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts