Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got one. This is ideal as I have been looking for a compact 45. However it is WELL used. Blueing is almost gone.
Some nitwit cut grooves in both grips for a round counter.
The shock buffer is trash.
It doesnt seem to want to feed any of the handloads for my 1911 reliably. (dont have any factory ammo to try). Also im concerned the recoil spring should be replaced due to age.
So any tips on where to get parts for this? I saw one with pachmayr grips at a gunshow that would be ideal but it seems, from their website,that they no longer make them.
How stiff should the recoil spring be? it looks like I could cut down a spare 1911 spring to the right length but I have no idea how that effects spring rate.
Has anyone worked with one of these? The feeding problems appear to be extractor related but im not sure if there is any adjustment on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. the guide rod has beat its way into the frame about .020. it looks bad but works fine. i polished the feed ramp as it had some gouges in ti. i polished the chamber as well. the feeding problems are remidied. I had a smith check it over and he said the frame will eventually break but it will probably last a long time.
It is up into the 40's today so maybe ill get to shoot at an actual target to check accuracy.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Star PD that I used as a back up gun while I was in the Deputy Business. Jeff Cooper said it was a gun that should be carried a lot and shot very little. The recoil system was trash and I replaced it, but it seems to me that Star sent me a new one and I quit shooting the gun and traded it off. I got a Star BKM to replace it and carried it in my boot for a few years. I di not shoot it much, only enough to make sure it was reliable.

I hope you bought it cheap and don't intend to shoot it much. They self destruct quiclky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts